G2 - Part 5

Keith didn't come home that night.

I'd been up waiting for him all night, and when my morning alarm shocked me back into reality I felt an enormous weight sink onto my shoulders. I quickly got myself ready for work and ordered a cab - I was in no state to drive myself anywhere.

I arrived at work on time, but I wasn't able to shake the sinking feeling in my gut. I felt terrible for asking Keith to stay. He'd just gotten his mother back, so it was no surprise he wanted to spend time with her, but I was selfish and wanted to keep him all to myself.

"Team meeting in 5!" Allura called from her office as I entered the garage. Hunk had his head in the engine of a four-by-four while Pidge stood to the side on their phone.

"Morning Lance." Pidge hummed idly, not looking up from the screen. 

Hunk looked up, frowning when he saw me. "What's eatin you, bud?"

 Nothing got past Hunk.

"Just some drama." I laughed. "Nothing to worry about."

Pidge finally looked up, pulling a face when they saw me. "You look like shit."

"Wow. Thanks Pidge." I yawned. "I didn't get much sleep, that's all."

"Did something happed with Keith?" Hunk asked gently.

Damn. 

I choked back the lump in my throat and smiled.

"It's no big deal."

Hunk shot me a half-smile. "Let's hang out later."

"Sure."

Allura appeared and gave the staff meeting, but I was too distracted by my concerns to focus. The first free moment I found, I pulled out my phone and texted Keith.

Hey, hope you're safe. I'm sorry. Can we talk?

He didn't reply.

~

I'd spent the night at Shiro's place. I couldn't bring myself to face Lance after running off like that. I knew he'd be worried, but I couldn't get his face out of my mind: his eyes were those of a child being left behind. I knew that feeling all too well.

"Mornin bro." I mumbled as Shiro came out of the bedroom. I stretched out on the couch and yawned, trying to push the worry from my mind.

"You should really go home, you know." Shiro threw over his shoulder as he headed into the bathroom. "Lance will be worried sick about you."

"I know..." I replied, pulling myself up. As I pulled my phone out of my pocket, it dinged. There was a new message from Lance.

Hey, hope you're safe. I'm sorry. Can we talk?

I frowned. I knew I should reply to him, but I couldn't bring myself to type a message. Instead, I sent a message to Axca, asking to meet up. She might be able to help me make a decision.

A/N - Sorry for the short chapter. It's been a wild few years for me and I'm still struggling mentally, but I'm trying to get back into this! Thank you all so much for your continued support <3