Chapter 27

"I'm going out!" I shouted into the apartment, closing the door behind me. Shiro had invited Adam over again, and while I approved of Shiro's newfound happiness, I was also a little annoyed that they kept hanging out at our apartment, instead of Adam's. I did not need to be around when they were 'hanging out' – it was enough having to hear Shiro talk about it, but hearing them fucking in the next room was not something I wanted.

Luckily, Lance had invited me to stay over for the night. I was a little worried about what might happen, since we seemed to get drunk every time we hung out. He'd said he wasn't drinking anymore, but I wondered how long it would take for him to break. Still, I was excited to see him again.

I pulled up outside Lance's apartment and texted him to let me in. He hurried down the stairs to open the door, leaning awkwardly against the doorframe.

"Come in." He panted, clearly out of breath from running down the stairs. I laughed and followed him up to his apartment, which was much tidier than I remembered. I hoped he hadn't cleaned up just for me.

"So, what's the plan for tonight?" I asked, sitting at the end of the couch.

Lance planted himself down next to me, letting his arm fall onto the back of the cushions. I tried not to think about how he basically had his arm around me.

"Pizza? Movies?" He asked. "Games?"

"What kind of games?" I curled my legs underneath me. "Like, drinking games?"

"I was more thinking video games..." Lance laughed. "I've sworn off alcohol, remember?"

"I thought you were joking." I teased.

"Hey!" He gasped in mock offense. "I'll have you know I'm a very good boy who doesn't get drunk very often. Except when my sister takes me out for lunch. Obviously then we have mimosas."

"Obviously." I laughed.

"Erm," Lance began, looking slightly uncomfortable. "There's something I want to tell you. I should have told you a while ago but I just didn't know how."

My heart stopped. Was he going to confess again? Half of me wanted him to come out and say it again – but sober this time. The other half was completely terrified. What would happen after? I hadn't had a really serious relationship in a long time, and I'd never liked someone as much as I liked Lance. What if he got to know the real me and decided I wasn't good enough? What if...

I clenched my fist. Lance already knew the real me – well, most of it.

"What is it?" I said finally.

"Well, I-"

Lance was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Fuck." He hissed. "I told them I was busy tonight."

"Who is it?" I whispered.

"My work friends. They wanted to have a party here tonight, but I said no." He shook his head. "I guess Pidge invited herself." Lance stood up and walked over to the door. When he opened it, a small, energetic creature bounded through the door, followed by a hulking giant and-

"Matt?" I queried, looking at the guy who'd been to our apartment more times than I could count.

"Keith!" He cried. "It's been a while since we last saw each other! I have to tell you about the advancements I've made with my-"

"Stop being a nerd, Holt." Lance taunted. "Talk about your sex robot another time. I told you guys I was busy tonight."

"Busy getting laid...?" The small one teased.