23- Torn

I tried to breath calmy as I stood next to Josh, what Nora said to me on Friday still ran through my mind every minute I saw him

"And switch, one, two, three, four..." Brooker counted

It was my first day of practice with the brookies and I felt slightly uncomfortable, but I was able to pick out the difference in the kids there.

There were kids who frankly didn't want to be there. Kids who knew the rep the brookies had but were in it because their parents made them.

They were good people

Mostly girls, but there was 3 or 4 guys.

Though Josh scared them shit less, the moment he came over to us before stretching they all ran. When Josh told me to stretch by him and Kia I felt as if I couldn't say no.

"Arm behind the head, One two three..." Brooker continued to count

I wasn't going to leave the brookies just because of a bad feeling though, hanging out with these people could be my ticket into a big sponsorship.

"Alright! Today we will run a heat based practice in pairs, so pair up with someone in your level to run the work out. Then we will do some beach works outs before you can head home." Brooker explained.

I went to turn to Alex, a kid who was in my level who didn't seem that bad, but I was instantly pulled away by Josh.

"You're with me Finn." He stated leaving no room for excuse

I just nodded my head.

"Yeah, sure, sounds good."

Josh turned towards the ocean, looking out at the break. As he did I studied his posture, trying to read his vibe better.

It was hard to even imagine him as Nora's ex because he was nothing like her type. Way to rough around the edges and not to mention blonde.

"Let's head out more left." Josh said while pointing, "that way we can take the rip out and do less paddling."

I just nodded my head, feeling like a lost dog.

I wasn't one to just let people tell me how to do everything but I felt like the new guy all over again.

Only Josh had to be in control, I could tell that much.

I followed him as we entered the rip, the current pulling at my feet until I hopped on my board.

I barely paddled to get passed the break and stopped when Josh stopped, letting him immediately take the first wave.

He was after all a local, and was making it clear that I should respect him.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●

I breathed in and out hard, bending over with my hands on my knees. I was fucking tired.