24- Alone ◇

The waves were flat, there was nothing out here

No incoming swell, no possibility of even a 1 footer.

So why I was sitting out in the ocean alone, well I wasn't really sure, it just felt right.

I took in a deep breath, trying to calm my racing mind.

This morning Brady had informed me that he signed me up for the annual surf comp here in Ocean Bay.

It was still a week or two away so I had time to prepare.

What I didn't have a way to prepare for was the party.

There is a surfer in Ocean Bay, Grant, who like me was not committed to a surf school.

He had an older sister who was a brookie and a younger brother in Masters, so every year after the competition he held a party for all surfers to go to.

It was normally a nice party, he served drinks had good music but it always ended in a brookie-masters fight.

Every year, almost like it was tradition.

Frankly I wasn't a fan of the parties, I just went because everyone else did but this year I could bet Finn was going to be there with the brookies.

Which was not something I was looking forward. My plan was just not to mention the party in general and see what happened.

I looked back at the setting sun, knowing I should go in sooner or later .

A began paddling, slowly. There wasn't much effort to my paddles and my form was completely off.

I let my chin rest on the board as I paddled into shore.

These days were getting exhausting, trying to figure everything out.

Like the tension that was going on between me and Finn particularly.

I avoided him almost for that reason.

I'd had to except that he was going to be a brookie, but at least he wasn't spending his time with Josh or Kia. He liked to hang out with Alex and some other lower level surfers.

But the tension didn't come from him being a brookie.

It came from the way he gave me goose bumps and made my stomach flutter when he did something or the way he moved.

I could feel my breath catch in my throat whenever he got to close.

It all felt too confusing.

As I got to shore I took off my leash and wrapped it around the fins. Not rushing but rather taking my time.

"Want some help with that?" A voice asked from above me and I froze

I stopped breathing and not in a good way. Panic flooding through me as I was alone.