30- High Off of You

~Song:You Taste Like Wine

I moved my hands through the water as I sat out passed the break with Sam.

"Hey I gotta head in soon." I said looking at the sun

Sam looked at me confused, "where do you have to be?"

I shrugged, trying to play it off.

I'd woke up still feeling buzzed from last night. I'd seen Finns message and knew he was going to be home soon, and I wanted to be home when he got there.

I hadn't talked to Sam about last night, in fact I planned on telling no one.

This time, I was keeping this to myself.

In case things went south, itwasn't a public relationship there was nothing for anyone to hold over my head if something went wrong.

"No, my dad just wants me to go pick up some branches in the yard after the storm." I said, lying.

Sam still looked confused but didn't push it.

"Ok..." her voice trailed off

We sat in silence for a moment until Sam spoke again.

"Oh, I meant to give you a heads up. The boys are planning to go out and eat at the BBQ place this Saturday, literally all the girls said no to going." Sam stated, "we all have a Masters girl day planned, we just wanted you to know that none of us would be there if they invited you."

I shrugged, it was nice of Sam to tell me. Sometimes Luke and Ryan could get a little overbearing to the other girls but I liked to hang out with them.

"No, its fine. Honestly barbecue sounds good, maybe I'll go." I replied, thinking about it.

Plus, I could place bets on either Ryan or Luke paying for my food. So free good was always a reason to go out for me.

I looked up at the sun again before laying back down on my board.

"I've got to head in, but have fun at your girls thing on Saturday."

Sam smiled and waved as I began paddling.

"I will, and have fun with Luke and Ryan." She replied

Saturday was still a few days away, but with the way practice schedule was looking with the comp next week. I'm sure it would be rare for me to get time with Sam.

Slinging my board under my arm I walked up the beach towards the road.

Once my feet came in contact with the concrete, it was a straight shot home.

As I began walking a familiar face came towards me from the beach. I smiled and stopped walking waiting for Finn to catch up to me.

He jogged slightly a smile on his face as he made it to my side.

"Hey." Was all I said as he got closer

"Morning." He replied leaning forward in an attempt to kiss my cheek

I backed away, quickly realizing how many people were out to surf this morning after the storm.

Finn looked at me confused and I nervously brushed some of my wet hair behind my ear.

"Can we talk?" I asked, beginning to walk again.

Finn nodded his head, almost scared about what I was going to say.

I was nervous. I knew I had to have this conversation, but it was almost terrifying.

"Did you tell anyone about last night?" I asked knowing I had to cover base one first.

Because if other people knew... first off I would be getting major hate from the masters, me with a brookie. Second Josh would kill Finn, I just knew it.

"No, Nora, I haven't told anyone I swear." Finn assured me

As we got to the house we both walked along the side of it to rack our boards.

"Ok," I stated now knowing these words were hard to get out of my mouth, "can we keep it that way? At least till after we figure this all out, maybe wait till after the competition I don't want to be the reason you surf bad."

I bit my lip feeling nervous making a decision like this. It was weird asking for some sort of control, was it right?

Would Finn get mad at me for wanting this?

Finn just racked his board while nodding his head yes.

"Thats fine Nora, but we have to figure this out after the comp." He stated and I immediately shook my head yes

"Yes, for sure, its just I know sometimes with relationships and stuff it can mess with how you preform in sports even if you are happy and I really want you to surf good-" I cut myself short as Finn was smiling at me.

"Nora, its alright. Don't panic, I'm not mad, I'm ok with waiting. The comp is next week so its not that long of a time anyways." Finn explained

I took a deep breath, the tension on my shoulders disappearing from the lack of worry.

"Ok?" Finn asked stepping closer to me.

I nodded my head feeling at peace.

"Yeah I'm alright." I replied before Finn softly connected his lips to mine.

Not for long, but it didn't matter. The feeling was enough to give me energy and a smile for the rest off the day.

As Finn pulled away we began walking back up to the house and a thought crossed my mind, remembering the conversation me and Sam had this morning.

"Hey, Ryan and Luke are inviting me out to eat this Saturday. Maybe you'd want to tag along? I'll convince them that you aren't some awful brookie." I said with a laugh behind my voice

Finn hesitated for only a second before speaking.

"Thanks but no thanks." He replied, "I've got to work a shift this Saturday."

Finn held open the door and I walked inside.

"I'm sure my dad could get coverage." I stated making my way over to the fridge.

Finn shook his head no as he bit his lower lip.

"I'm sure he could, but I really need the money to pay for brookers. Your parents won't exactly fund me." He explained

I smiled at this, grabbing a bowl of grapes from the fridge before turning to Finn.

"No, but they would fund you for masters." I exclaimed in a sing-song tune before sitting next to Finn on the couch.

He scuffed slightly, taking a few grapes from the bowl.

"I'm sure they would."

Words: 1069