||38||

I walked into the kitchen and was immediately greeted by the smell of roses. Ryan was there, making breakfast for himself, while there were two dozen roses on the counter.

"Ryan, I had no idea you felt this way." Seth joked as he walked into the kitchen behind me.

"Don't look at me. They were here when I came in." Ryan told him.

Sandy walked in then, carrying two more bouquets of roses.

"Hey, you do realize Valentine's Day is tomorrow right?" Seth told his dad.

"Yeah, well we're starting a little early this year. Your mother deserves an extra long holiday, what with your grandfather in the hospital."

The mention of Valentine's Day brought back memories. I glanced over at Seth to see he already was looking at me. We both were thinking of the same thing. The night after the Valentine's Day party.

"Why don't you three give me a hand, huh? The rest of the flowers are in the car." Sandy stated.

"You got more flowers? There's such a thing as overkill." Seth stated.

The three of us walked outside to Sandy's car and each grabbed a bouquet from the trunk.

"Man, your parents are pretty hardcore about Valentine's Day." Ryan muttered to Seth.

"I just hope I survive this holiday." Seth muttered back and I glanced at him. I knew exactly why he was feeling down. The two of us weren't together anymore and it was a day that meant a lot to our relationship.

"Me too." I muttered and Ryan looked between Seth and I.

The three of us walked back in and sat the flowers on the counter.

"You got anything lined up for Lindsay this Valentine's Day?" Sandy asked Ryan.

"Uh no, Lindsay and I are taking a break. She's getting to know her dad."

"So for Valentine's Day, you're getting Lindsay Grandpa." Seth stated.

"Yeah and that's bad, right?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah, step in here, Dad. Help big brother out. This guy's got mad Valentine's Day skills." Seth said, gesturing to Sandy.

"Word, son. Oh, I hope I've learned something after twenty years with your dear mother."

"That's right. It is her favorite holiday." I told him.

"Yeah, which means she's probably gearing up for the Cupid routine right now." Seth told us.

Kirsten walked in then, and she looked like she'd been crying. What was going on?

"Hey, there's my Valentine." Sandy said, handing Kirsten a rose.

Kirsten took the rose with no emotion and walked over to the sink, placing it in the garbage disposal, then turning it on. She looked back at Sandy before walking out.

Seth, Ryan and I shared a worried look. Sandy walked over to the sink and pulled the flower out, which was now just a stem.

"Looks like I'm not the only one at odds with the universe."

~~~~
I placed one last outfit in my suitcase and zipped it up. Today Seth, Summer, Ben and I were leaving for our trip to San Diego.

"Ally? You ready to go?" Seth said, walking into my room.

"Yeah, are you?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I never thought the comic would actually be seen. It's all pretty surreal." Seth told me and I smiled.