Chapter 43

Holy shit!

Sarah? Is she Xander's ex?

I feel like she is. Xander is stiff like a board against my back and the woman looks at him with a melancholic look.

I am caught in the middle.

God really heard my prayer quickly. I smile slightly at the sky. I glance at Xander and find him glaring at me. My smile disappears instantly. It appears like he already knows what I am thinking.

Sarah's phone rings suddenly and I turn to face Xander with wide eyes.

"Is she the one?", I murmur.

"Let's go home", he clasps my hand tightly in his.

"We can't just leave her here", I say and add quickly. "And I have not finish my cakes yet"

"Let's finish them then"

"We have to wait first", I resist when he tries to pull me. "It's late and it's not safe for a girl to be out at this time. We'll stay until her fiancé comes and get her."

"Why do you have to be so stubborn Ayla?", he says angrily. "I know what you are up to and let me tell you this. None of it will work so let's go back home"

He tightens his hold on my hand and I hiss with pain. "You always hurt me"

"I am so sorry", he apologizes instantly and lifts my hand to inspect it.

I suppress a smile when I see guilt on his face. It's easy to fool him now that we are friends. He always panics at the thought of me being hurt and I love the attention I get from him.

"Did I hurt you a lot?"

"Yes", I murmur sadly and look down.

"I am so sorry Ayla", he pulls my head close to his chest and wraps his arm around me while still holding my hand. "I am so sorry"

"It's okay", I keep mumbling. "We can't leave her alone here Xander. It's too late. Can we just wait with her?"

"Fine, we will wait", he finally accepts.

I smile and look up at him.

"You tricked me", he realizes with a frown.

"Keep your words like a man now", I dare him.

"You'll pay for this Fiery", he says against my ear.

A shiver goes down my spine at his words but I choose to ignore it. He holds my hand and stays close by my side. Sara glances at him while speaking on her phone and lowers her gaze.

This won't look good if I want to get them back together. So when she glances at him again, I try to take a step away from Xander but as if he knows what I am thinking and doing, he pulls me right back against him. This time, more closer.

"Stand still", he orders.

"I am still"

"Nothing will work Ayla", he claims fiercely. "So don't put this mind of yours at work. You'll be wasting both mine and your time."

"It doesn't matter", I shrug carelessly. "You did say that I am a waste of your time anyway"

He opens his mouth to speak but Sarah beats him to that.

"Thank you so much for staying with me", she says and looks at Xander. "My fiancé will be here in a few more minutes"

"That's great", I say.

"Yes", she glances at him again. "It is"

I tug at Xander's hand to atleast speak to her but he remains silent. When Sarah looks away, I hold his arm and standing on the tip of my toes, I try to lean closer to his ear but end up reaching just below his shoulder.