Chapter 20-

It's 2 now, and my life can't get much worse, so I head over to the library.
It's completely empty.
Great. I was set up. What else is new.
"Hey."
I jump.
"Aly? What are you doing here?"
"Well uhh..funny you asked..Ok! I'll get right to it because I suck! I intern at the guidance department since I'm the buddy president. And we'll, I wrote that note telling you to come here!"
Aly says, sounding as if she is confessing her soul away.
That makes me laugh really hard.
"Why are you laughing at me?"
"Is that the worst thing you've ever done?! Forged a note?! Wait, this is not even forged because you didn't put a name on it or anything."
"Asher. I wrote that note yesterday night because I really want to ask you something, but I think you're going to say no.."
"Just go for it." I encourage.
Aly plops down next to me.
"Well...I'm not creative so I wrote that note to ask you if you want to go with me to the Halloween dance. As my date.."
Silence.
Aly peers down.
"Why'd you think I'd say no?" I giggle.
"Hell yeah!"
Aly smiles.
"Because, I don't think you would ever want me like that. The closest I can get to a guy is my buddy, how pathetic am I that I had to run this club in order to meet you?! I am so shy that I had to purposely pair myself with a boy in order to get one! You are always with other girls way cuter than me-"
"Aly! I-I like you. A lot! And the only reason I even look at those other girls is because I thought you didn't like me! I thought you'd want to be with a guy like Matt. Someone at your level. Not some stupid basket case like me! All those times I felt like you treated me different than all the other guys out there."
"Basket case?! Asher! I didn't mean to treat you different, it came out that way because I like you! Like, like you like you! Not Matt! He's my cousin!!"
I burst into laughter, which makes Aly blush.
"You are just so friggin adorable!"
I bring Aly in for a hug and we don't let go for a while.
"You may of acted different because you liked me. But never ever once because you thought my condition made me different." I mumble.
I feel tears drip down Aly's face onto my shirt..wait no, crap that's me.
No, both of us.
"Asher..you're the greatest person I ever met."
I smile.
"And you mine. It would be my HONOR to go to that dance with you, Aly Roth."
And for the first time since I've been here, I feel like a somebody. Your average somebody. I finally feel average.