Chapter 34-

Things could not be any better! I am so over the moon about Villanova. I know it's not official official yet, but it will be soon. I'm only in eleventh grade and I already know where I am going to college!!!
I know I missed school on Thursday and Friday, today. But tomorrow is the weekend and Mom and Zoey are flying into Philly later today!
Every year my family, my friends, and I form a team for the Philadelphia regional Tourette Syndrome walk. (It's like the greatest thing ever, but I can't believe I completely forgot about it until Dad reminded me at Panera.) It's a family tradition and Mom said we have to continue it. It's just going to be super awkward because this is the first time I'll see my parents together since the split...
But it's a tradition I don't want to change just because they're not together anymore.
I haven't told Mom or Zoey about Villanova because I'm waiting to tell them in person.
"ASHER!" Dad calls to me.
"Yeah?"
"Come here. Your shirts came in."
"About time!" I laugh.
I grab a scissor and slowly swipe an incision through the cardboard box.
They're actually sick...
We made teal (TS awareness color) hockey jerseys and they're so sick....
On the front they say The A Team in white, and on the back they say #TEAMASHER and they all have a big 8 since that's my number.
I love them so much!
"You like?!" I ask.
I sit on the floor pretzel style as I hold out the jersey.
"Did you design these?! That's awesome."
"I sure did!"
Well, through custom ink..but that counts! I am talented!😝
No, Asher. You wish!
"Don't worry all your friends will remember to come tomorrow. They've been in touch with me ever since they knew you were coming."
"My friends have been in touch with you?"
Dad pretends not to hear me and leaves to take the garbage out.

It suddenly hits me.
"Don't just thank us, thank your dad.".....

-----------———————————-
"ASHER ASHER ASHER ASHER!!"
I yank my eyes open.
"ZOEY!" I jump out of bed and pick her up.
"We just got home from the airport!"
I look at the clock and it's 1 am.
"Go get some sleep, Zo. Here you can sleep with me here."
Zoey crawls in.
"Are they fighting?" I ask.
"I don't know. I've been avoiding them together since we landed."
"Ok..." I sigh.
"I can't wait for tomorrow. There's something you and mom need to know."
"And there's also something you need to know!"
"What-"
"My lips are sealed!"
"Zo-"
"Sealed! I'll find out tomorrow and you will find out tomorrow!"
I roll my eyes.
"Fine."
I'm about to fall asleep when my whole upper body shakes and wakes me. Yep, tomorrow is going to be fun😊

We are all dressed and ready for the walk! I am still obsessed with these jerseys!! Mine says team captain on the back instead of Team Asher and I am fanboying so hard. I love jerseys in case you couldn't tell. You know how people nerd about things? I guess you can say I jock about stuff. Man, I am such a stereotypical boy sometimes...
"Why are we going out to breakfast? We never go out to breakfast?" Zoey asks as we get in the car.
"You're not a baby, Zoey. Does it really matter?" I ask.
"Asher!" Mom scolds.
"Asher and I need to share some news." Dad explains.
"Oh boy. Let me guess, Asher did something stupid again."
"Again?! Come on I haven't done anything stupid in a long time!"
"Oh really..." Mom sasses me.
"Oy yoy yoy! I'm a boy, what do you expect!"
Grunt grunt grunt.
"Besides I didn't do anything stupid." I roll my eyes.
"I'll be the judge of that."

We get into IHOP and I discretely pull out my Villanova cap from the car.
"So what's the news, Sweetie?" Mom asks me as we sit down at a booth.
"Well...um..how do I say this.."
"Just cut right to it! I'm getting impatient!" Zoey whines.
I slowly pull off my jersey to reveal underneath my Always Reppin' Villanova shirt, and I plop on my Villanova cap.
"I AM PLAYING FOR VILLANOVA! Class of 2022!" I exclaim.
"What?!"
"How?!" 
"Well, Ash's friends heard the rumors circling about recruiters and talent spotters coming to the games. Now I played high school basketball too, I know the excitement level. But the respect this team has for one another is remarkable. You wouldn't believe this, Ash's friends called to tell me we have to get Ash on the team. So I told them to keep his name on the roster and we will make this happen. So I called you saying I needed you to come...it was all for Asher. I wasn't sure how I would do it..but as soon as you mentioned his behavior issues and not taking his pills, it just hit me that this is how I would do it. So I told you to bring him back here, and his friends and I set up this whole plan..."
I stop paying attention as my thoughts overwhelm me..
They did all that for me?
DAD did this for me?
"You did all that for Asher?.."
"I hope you're not mad..I just..I didn't know how else to make it happen. I'm still an immature guy at heart.."
"Like father like son.." I choke on my tears.
"See, Ashy, I told you! You're not the reason mom and dad split!" Zoey breaks the silence.
I elbow her.
"You thought that?..." Dad asks.
"Well...I don't know..I didn't think I spent time with you much...and with my Tourette's..."
"Never ever think for one second that we split because of your Tourette's. We love you very much for who you are. It has nothing to do with either of you. It was just a lot of problems strictly between your mother and I." Dad explains softly.
"You really do care about the kids more than I ever gave you credit for.." Mom whispers.
"I knew there was such a passionate side to you..."
"You do so much for the kids. More than I ever could have imagined. It was the least I can do...I just hope you aren't mad-"
"Mad?! I was worried Asher would be mad at me the rest of his life for taking him away from Villanova. But you brought that dream back..."
Dad smiles.
"Hi! My name is Kate and I'll be your server today! Are you ready to order?!"
Awkward interruption...
"Uh, I'll have the funny face." I say.
"That's a kid meal." Zoey whispers, judging me hard.
"So what? I'm a child!" I stick out my tongue at Zo.
"Whatever. I'll have an omelette." She says.
"I'll have three pancakes and eggs." Dad orders.
"I'll have the banana stuffed waffles please." Mom tells the waitress.
"Banana stuffed waffles?" Dad questions
"Yeah what?"
"That...that's what you ate at the diner for our first date."
Mom ponders for a second.
"Oh gosh. I did..How did you remember that?"
"I just do..."
"Do you remember when I knocked the water pitcher onto the waiter while reaching for the syrup?"
"Of course I do, Sienna.."
Sienna..
I haven't heard Dad refer to Mom as Sienna since the split...
Mom smiles.
This is weird..
"Why are they doing that?" Zoey whispers to me.
"I don't know.." I whisper back.
"Do you think..maybe they still need closure or something?"
"I don't know!.." I whisper back again, this time blinking hard.
Thanks for the positive reminder, body.
All I can think about right now is how excited I am for the walk!