John The Lab Rat

Beth had woken the next morning to the feeling of light kisses being trailed over her bare shoulders and hair tickling her neck.

"No, don't get up." Sherlock mumbled continuing to leave a pattern on kisses over Beth's shoulders and neck.

She turned her neck to look at him, he was already dressed in his normal black trousers and purple shirt, with his Belstaff coat over the top. Sherlock caught her gaze.

"I'm going back to Henry Knight's. I need something for an experiment."

"Experiment?" Beth had now turned so that she could sit up against the pillows.

"I'll tell you later." Sherlock said, softly grasping her neck so that he could bring his lips down to her scarred temple.

~~

Thirty minutes later, Beth had finally forced herself out of the warm comforts of the hotel bed to get ready for the day. She showered, dressed, and then went down to the pub downstairs to have breakfast with John. The pair then took a stroll around the area of Inn, finding themselves at a grave yard. John perched himself on a stone memorial and took out his notepad, looking through all of the notes that he has jotted down for this case.

Beth looked up at the metallic screeching sounds of the churchyard gate to see that Sherlock was approaching looking slightly apologetic and bashful. And from the bitter look that was on John's face she could tell that the two had also had a tiff last night, that, she guessed, Sherlock was yet to apologise for.

"Did you, uh, get anywhere with that Morse code?" Sherlock asked.

"No."

"U-M-Q-R-A, wasn't it? UMQRA." Sherlock tried his best to talk to John, who attempted to ignore his efforts.

"Nothing."

"U.M.Q-"

"Look, forget it. It's, I thought I was on to something. I wasn't."

"Sure?"

"Yeah."

"How about Louise Mortimer? Did you get anywhere with her?" Sherlock continued to make the situation better as they walked around the church.

"No."

"Too bad. Did you get any information?" Sherlock then said, making Beth grin at his attempted 'lad' talk.

"You being funny now?" John asked.

"Thought it might break the ice a bit."

"Funny doesn't suit you. I'd stick to ice."

Sherlock's face dropped, "John..."

"It's fine."

"No, wait. What happened last night. Something happened to me; something I've not really experienced before."

"Yes, you said: fear. Sherlock Holmes got scared. You said."

Sherlock stopped John from walking any further, "No-no-no, it was more than that, John. It was doubt. I felt doubt. I've always been able to trust my senses, the evidence of my own eyes, until last night."

"You can't actually believe that you saw some kind of monster."

"No, I can't believe that. But I did see it, Beth did too, so the question is: how? How?

"Yes. Yeah, right, good. So you've got something to go on, then? Good luck with that." John turned, leaving Sherlock standing with Beth.

"Listen, what I said before, John. I meant it. I don't have friends. I've just got two." Sherlock took Beth's hand in his own but continued to keep his gaze on John. Beth could feel the sincerity in Sherlock's confession, but by the looks of things John didn't.