Beginnings

---

Sans

---

i stood there, motionless in front of the frail, weak human. she either didn't notice me standing in front of her or didn't care. her empty, yet engulfing, eyes stared blankly at the rubber on my shoes.

she was broken.

she was empty.

she was exactly what i needed.

"hey, kid." i said, tilting my head. "you look a little... fed up with your life right now. heheheh."

her apathetic eyes slowly looked up to me, not displaying any form of emotion other than defeat.

"heheh... too soon?" i scratched the back of my head. her pupils seemed to dilate once focused on my face. "what's wrong? never met a skeleton before? eh, don't worry kid. we don't bite."

she went back to staring at my shoes, as if losing all interest. "well, geez kid. i didn't think my jokes were that bad."

the human started to mumble something, but it was too quiet for even the most keen of ears.

"jokes aside, i brought somethin' for ya." i pulled out a packaged snack cake, some strawberry filled roll, out of my pocket and handed it to her. "maybe it'll fullfill what you're looking for."

when her gaze followed slowly back up to the snack, her eyes began to widen with hunger, her mouth watering. she held up her hands hungrily, like a lost child, but was too weak to make any other movements than that.

i opened the package myself, knowing she couldn't do it by herself, before handing her the contents. "to be honest, i don't think i've ever seen a human dying of starvation before. and, if we're getting things off our chest here..." i looked at her as she scarfed down the cake in almost two ravenous bites. "it's really terrifying."

her breath began to heave, her body responding so quickly to the small amount of food i gave her. her eyes began to become more dazed, but less empty.

"so, you're a runaway, huh?" i said, nodding to the band around her wrist. "i always thought humans weren't the most stellar of species, but trying to sell their own kind? that really sucks. who was it that sent you into the system? your dad? maybe an evil uncle?"

the human thought long and hard for a moment, as if trying to wrap her brain around something. "M...y.... sib...ling..." she managed to croak out.

"your sibling?" i couldn't help but find that hard to believe. even if humans were awful, even they had enough standards to take care of their own bro or sis. it's just a sibling thing, no matter what the species or universe, they're supposed to take care of eachother.

"No... th..ey..! t...they..!" the human started to scramble up as much as her weak body could, panicked over something that just didn't make sense. "I..if I don..t..! I..need t..o!"

"whoa there, buddy." i said, trying to calm her down while also being cautious enough in case she decided to attack me. "slow down. what's so important that it can't wait until tomorrow?"

"..The..y'll t-ta..ke my... pl..a..c..e!"

"oh, i'm getting you." i said, seeing the puzzle fall into place. "if you don't stop... whoever you need to stop, your sibling's gonna be sold for slavery, am i wrong?"

she shook her head up and down vigorously, telling me i was right.

this human just kept getting better and better.