Frustrating

The door closed with a soft click. Master Orange was looking down, a light shadow over his features.

"oh, hey kid... thought you'd be in bed by now."

"Not quite..."

An uncomfortable silence followed as you played with your feet and he scratched the back of his head.

"Master Orange-""y/n-" The two of you said, simultaneously.

"heh." He avoided your eyes. "go ahead, kid."

"Master..." You took a step towards him, making a point to keep eye contact with him. "Where did you go? And why were you gone so long?"

"none of that really matters too much."

"It matters to me!" You took another step towards him, which made Master Orange react in stepping back. "I was worried about you! You just left, with no explanation or reassurance when you'd come back! You didn't even say goodbye..."

An orange blush briefly crossed Master Orange's cheekbones. "...that worried, huh?"

"With you, Master Orange?" You exhaled, crossing your arms. "I always am..."

His eyelights softened as did his expression, "sorry i make you worry so much."

You narrowed your eyes at him, "No, you're not."

He laughed, a loud noise in comparison to the silent house. "hahaheheh... sorry i'm not sorry, then."

You exhaled, exasperated. But soon, your worries took over the light moment. You looked to the side, concern filling your expression. "Master Orange..."

Sensing the change in your tone, he stiffened.

"Why did you leave so suddenly?"

There was another silence, this one tenser than the last. This one worse than the last. You held your breath as you waited for him to answer.

"y/n." You straightened. "you're tired, you should go to bed."

"B-but, Master Orange-!"

"y/n." Your Master had a stern but pained look on his face. "goodnight."

You reeled back, hurt by his sudden words. When your Master stood firm, not giving you any ground, you ducked your head.

"Goodnight... Master Orange..." You grabbed the edges of your skirt to keep from shaking. It seemed no matter what you do, Master Orange was determined to keep avoiding you. Why couldn't he just be open and honest with you, like you were trying to be with him? Why did he have to keep so many things to himself? All you wanted was to ease his pain... Maybe grow to understand him more, but he just wouldn't let you in! It'd be frustrating if it wasn't so very sad...

Suddenly, you felt the light clacking of bone on your forehead. Your eyes widened as you looked up at your tall Master. "sweet dreams, y/n."

Sweet dreams your arse.

But before you could express your irritation, he was gone. And you were left alone.

You hugged your broom. What could possibly be going on in his mind right at that moment? Were you too forward? Were you not open enough? You didn't understand, but you wanted to! You wanted to so bad, but it was as if he wouldn't let you!

You exhaled. Man, you really were tired.

---

The next day went on as if nothing happened. It was unsettling to you and it felt like you were missing something. Like as if a war was going on, and then the next day everyone was back home acting like nothing happened. All of your other Master ignored his reappearance other than Master Blue, who jumped happily in his arms once he came down stairs for breakfast.