Chapter 9: What The Heck Was That

Only one Japanese customer came through the pet shop doors that Thursday. They had a female Labrador called Muffin, who was smaller than most average dogs of her breed. She'd gotten into the rubbish bin, and eaten something sticky that a sharp and very much empty 'sheet' of tablets had gotten itself attached to. That empty sheet was now headed for the Lab's stomach, so the dog was unconscious on an operating table so the tablet sheet could get removed.

That operation was happening as Diamond and Ivy left.

They had two things on their list to complete before they went back into the sewers. First, Diamond wanted to find a present, since she hadn't remembered to buy one for her friend with all the chaos that had happened recently.

Then, Diamond wanted to try and find April and this Casey she'd mentioned to go to the lair together, since she knew the two others would be heading for the lair at the same time.

She paused to think of an affordable present to buy her friend, and it wasn't long before Diamond decided to get a plushie. Cathy was what you could call obsessed with plushies. She had a large collection of plushies in her room, and that was when Diamond had visited her apartment four months ago. Still, Cathy kept bringing new plushies to work in her bag so she could show the elemental teenager and her cat. She'd brought in a rabbit plushie (Which Diamond now found quite funny) just two weeks ago.

Diamond knew of a toy store situated three blocks away that was bound to have some plushies. She'd seen an advert for some hanging on the shop window a few days before the whole Whisper and Karai situation happened. She was thankful she'd stored a few dollars in the pocket of her jeans.

After she'd given Ivy a few quick strokes on her neck, she started jogging along the walkways.

Nothing out of the normal happened during her walk to the toy store. A police car barged through the streets, sirens blazing, obviously in a hurry. Diamond sighed. So much crime in this city.

Not soon after she started walking, a big, multicolored sign that read 'TOYZ' was in Diamond's sight. Said girl grinned and started walking with another burst of energy.

Diamond was right- when she and Ivy stepped into the toy store, Diamond looked left and was immediately greeted with a large range of plushies stuffed into a large box. She grinned wider and walked over, and with a deep breath, she plunged her hand inside the box and all the plushies.

The elemental teenager lost count of how many times she'd pulled out a plushie, and then stuffed it back into the box.

Poop emojie plushie? Gross, why is that in there.

Rabbit plushie? Cathy already has one, Diamond wanted a new kind of plushie to give to her friend.

A... Captain Ryan plushie? No... Cathy already had enough Space Heroes junk in her room. Diamond enjoyed the show, however, unlike Cathy, she wasn't obsessed.

Cathy Sharkenbrook and her plushies and TV shows.

It took the girl a small while, but eventually, Diamond and Ivy found a plushie they didn't think Cathy already had. It was a yellow bird playing a ukulele, and while it seemed a little funny, Diamond thought it would be a great gift to give to her friend.

Diamond handed over her money to the woman at the cashier (She only just had enough in her pocket to pay for the ukulele playing bird), who placed it into a blue bag with the shop logo on the front. Diamond walked back out of the store with a satisfied smile. The elemental teenager stroked Ivy on her head and whispered to her, "Mission accomplished."

The two green eyed beings started their second mission, to find April and Casey. They peered into every alleyway they passed, though none of these quick glances had any success.