The Appointment

Early June

If John and Lestrade were perturbed when Sherlock told them that he wasn't taking any new cases that day, they didn't show it and didn't ask questions. It was a Saturday after all and it was Susanna's day off, so it wasn't strange for him to refuse cases when he wanted to spend time with his wife. The DI actually enjoyed getting some work done without the brunette there upsetting Scotland Yard, so he didn't complain. John had been planning to take Rosie for a special day out anyway, so he didn't mind not running around London for a day.

Of course, no one but Mycroft, who had provided them with Obstetricians and care teams, Percy, Jillian and Zuke knew that a huge reason Sherlock had taken the day off was because it was Susanna's first appointment for her second trimester. Since she was a little older than average, they were getting more ultrasounds and check ups as a precaution. While they had agreed to wait until the birth to know if their baby was a boy or a girl, the appointment was critical. Mainly because if the Obstetrician gave the greenlight, they would reveal the pregnancy to their family and friends.

Susanna wasn't showing yet, but other symptoms had developed. She had smell aversions to basically anything in the Mortuary, she couldn't stand the smell of coffee, and even the thought of Missus Hudson's air freshener made her run for the loo. She luckily hadn't had morning sickness. She had started having mild cravings and mood swings, though, which had Sherlock on alert.

"Careful, Love." Sherlock reminded as Susanna stepped out of the Taxi and onto the curb. She sighed and waited for him to join her.

"I'm not made of glass, Darling. I am still balanced and moving like normal."

He slipped an arm around her waist as they walked into the clinic, "Precautions, Love."

"Mmm." She said nothing more as they checked in and took their seats in the corner. They'd had one other scan after Susanna had found out so that the Obstetrician could give a better evaluation and so Sherlock could see the actual ultrasound. It had been a couple of weeks, so both were excited to see how much the baby had grown in only fourteen days.

Soon enough they were shown to a room and Doctor Kirtley came in, "Good Morning, Missus and Mister Holmes. Here for your fourteen week check up?"

"Yes."

"Any new symptoms since you last came in?" She asked as she prepped everything and took Susanna's vitals.

"Still not morning sickness. I still have smell aversions. But I am getting cravings and mood swings now."

"Excellent, those are perfectly normal. Now you asked about the spotting last time. That shouldn't happen as much now but if you're concerned, I would encourage you to call or come in to make sure."

"Good to know."

Finally came the ultrasound. Susanna reclined and moved her shirt up so that Doctor Kirtley could apply the cool gel to her lower abdomen. Sherlock stood beside the table and reached for Susanna's hand. She squeezed his three times and he responded in kind as the doctor turned on the wand and started the ultrasound. Quickly enough the baby's heartbeat was streamed into the room and Susanna grasped Sherlock's hand tightly as the somewhat fuzzy image of their child appeared on screen. They had grown quite a bit from their last visit, "Growing at a normal pace. They're at the healthy size that they should be- about the size of a lemon."

"Do you have a prediction for when she'll start showing?" Sherlock inquired. Doctor Kirtley nodded.

"Within the next couple of weeks. Maybe even this week with how quickly your baby is developing," She hummed and moved the wand a little more, "Your due date was January thirtieth, correct?"

"Yes... Why?"

"I think it's more like the twenty sixth."

Susanna gaped, "Really?"

"Yep!"

Susanna looked at Sherlock and the latter gave a proud, loving smile that she mirrored. They squeezed each other's hands tighter.

Near the end of the ultrasound the doctor looked at them, "Would you like to know the gender?"

"We've decided to wait until the birth."

Doctor Kirtley chuckled, "It's a great feeling, waiting for the surprise. Well worth it."

"So we've heard."

A few more minutes and they finished. After giving them the all clear to make their announcements, Doctor Kirtley gave them a packet of information and guidelines for the second trimester and then they hurried on their way.

"Your parents are so going to freak out." Susanna hummed.

"I imagine so." Sherlock agreed.

Thank you for reading!!