Due Date

January 26

Sherlock awoke before dawn and took a sharp, eager breath. Today's the due date. He cleared his vision and gazed at his sleeping wife's form. As she hadn't started labor on the twenty fourth, which would have made their due date their baby's birthday, they were hoping that she would go into labor that day. Susanna was just over forty one weeks and at their appointment three days before, Doctor Kirtley had pronounced her one hundred percent effaced. The baby had also begun to drop, putting pressure on her pelvis and making her waddle a lot more.

All things factored in, the odds seem to be in favour of it happening today. He mused and softly sat up. His eyes quickly found the co-sleeper bassinet which currently stood at the foot of the bed. For the moment the only things in it were a few toys and a couple of neatly folded baby quilts. All waiting patiently for the new arrival.

Ziva was curled on the edge of the bed right next to it. They'd had to train her not to get into the baby's spaces, like the bassinet or crib, using spray bottles and tinfoil. She was a large, fluffy, cuddly feline who would be at least twice the baby's size and weight- and could inadvertently cause harm to the baby, thus necessitating the training. Luckily she had learned rather quickly not to get into the baby's things. Sherlock leaned up and petted the tortoiseshell gently, "Soon we'll see how well you'll get along with the baby." Ziva purred and mewled in response, happily flexing her paws.

Knowing that the best possible thing would be to let Susanna sleep for as long as she could, or wanted, Sherlock decided to get up and leave his expectant wife to rest peacefully. He tucked back the blankets and picked up the feline, carrying her out with him to the kitchen. He fed and watered the cat before reappropriating some muffins from Missus Hudson and making himself a cuppa.

He took his light breakfast at the desk. There he scrolled through his inbox and solved most of the cases with ease. After rechecking the bulletin he decided to ascertain that the go-bag and everything else they would need was ready. To his satisfaction, everything was. But he couldn't help taking everything out and then putting it back, just to keep himself occupied.

The go-bag was packed tightly and layered in order. At the top of the pile were Susanna's clothes, followed by the chinese cotton prefold sets- diapers, liners and assorted covers-, disposable nappies and changing essentials. Underneath those were two baby onesies each with matching hats, blankets, a quilt, and finally a change of clothes for Sherlock. Other necessities were packed in between the layers. When Sherlock was done he zipped the bag back up and checked the carseat.

Susanna meandered out of the bedroom as he finished his rounds. He smiled and walked over to give her a kiss, "Good Morning, Love."

"Morning, Darling," She chuckled a bit, "Checking to make sure we're all set to go?"

"Yes," He paused and looked closer at her, "Are you..?"

She sighed and shook her head, "No, Sherlock. No contractions yet."

"Seriously?"

"Not counting the Braxton-Hicks from when I woke up."

Sherlock sighed, "They're certainly taking their time."

"It would seem so," Susanna made her way to his chair and slowly lowered herself into it, "Thank you for letting me sleep in, Darling."

"You'll need as much energy and strength as possible when the little one finally comes," He came over pressed another kiss to her head, "But doing exercises will help, Love." She guffawed at the subtle suggestion.

"I already did some."

He popped into the kitchen to make her some eggs and toast, "I do hope you won't make it to the point where you are officially overdue."

"Neither do I. And I'm the one carrying the baby."

Eventually Lestrade dropped in with a case and Brooklyn came over to stay with Susanna. Sherlock reluctantly left with Lestrade and had John meet him at the crime scene. It was a level eight case so it wasn't quite boring, but Sherlock was on edge waiting for the text or call.

Hours passed and night fell. By the time Sherlock solved the case he still hadn't been summoned back to 221B. John gave him a sympathetic clap on the shoulder, reassuring his best friend before heading home to Rosie. The detective returned home and found Susanna already in bed with a pillow tucked between her knees to relieve some of the pressure. Ziva was stretched out along her back.

He sighed, "I suppose that the baby isn't coming tonight?"

"Doesn't seem like it. But they'll come soon."

Thank you for reading!!