Lullabies

While Susanna had taken a long shower to help with the soreness and freshen up, Sherlock had made sure that they had everything ready and easily accessible for as smooth a night as possible. He'd also assured that the thermostat was set to the optimal temperature of twenty degrees Celsius for William, and Missus Hudson had strict instructions not to alter it.

Susanna walked out of the bathroom dressed in her lightest set of maternity pajamas and plush slippers. Sherlock had set out her medications and another cuppa. She smiled upon finding Sherlock in the bedroom, sitting on her lounge with William cradled gently against him. He was observing with great detail how his namesake responded to him. Susanna hummed, "Any interesting findings, Darling?"

"He's not as vocal with me as with you, except when something's upset him, so I deduce that he is simply adjusting to me as much as I am to him. And he is quite alert and observant, which was earlier established. He does know my voice from yours, and I do believe he recognizes your scent easier than mine."

"They say newborns know their mother's scent pretty quickly after birth. William will learn yours soon though... You haven't really said anything about his scent though," Sherlock looked up at her with a confused look, "He has a very fresh new baby smell. Have you not noticed it?"

"Considering I've focused less on his fragrance compared to his behaviors, I suppose I didn't realize it," He scanned her face, "You've already developed an attachment to William through this new baby smell. It invokes maternal instinct and bonding."

"Yes, you might say that. It's a very potent smell. I can't quite get enough of it," She held up her outfit from earlier, "It's already on my clothes. While I was getting ready I couldn't help but want to hold and feed him."

This intrigued Sherlock- from both scientific and paternal standpoints. Susanna smiled, seeing his mind working, and walked to put her soiled clothes in the basket to wash the next day. Sherlock, out of curiosity, brought William up closer and took a small breath inward. Indeed, there was a distinct smell that seemed to permeate William that he hadn't previously noticed. Sherlock felt a sudden split between his scientific curiosity, wanting to know what exactly the smell was, and his newfound paternal instinct that reacted quite strongly to it without a  need to investigate, "It's affecting me too."

"Oh?" Susanna didn't sound the least bit surprised.

"Yes. My dopamine is spiking."

"The smell is helping you bond with him," She made sure the bassinet was ready and then yawned, "I think that it's time for bed now. We need to get him on a routine."

"Of course," Sherlock stood up and walked William, now dressed only in his light blue onesie, to the bassinet which had found its post on Susanna's side of the bed. He seemed content and calm until they laid him down and Sherlock removed his hands. A minute later he started crying and Sherlock froze, "But he was perfectly calm!"

Susanna picked William back up and started rocking him gently, "William, honey, it's alright. Mommy's here. Shhh..," William's cries assumed a wailing pattern and both parents quickly checked him over, "He doesn't need a new diaper. He's been fed. So he's probably just fussy, as newborns often are. He's not quite ready to sleep. Is that it, William?"

Sherlock's mental light bulb blinked on and he stroked William's head, "I'll be right back, Little One." He raced out and retrieved his violin. He very quickly tuned it and then returned. Susanna had already started singing to William and he had calmed a bit, but was still distressed. Sherlock waited for Susanna to finish before starting to play the Lullaby he had composed. She smiled and continued to rock and sway William, humming along to Sherlock's music.

It took several minutes before William stopped  and had tired himself out. He relaxed to the Lullaby and curled up to Susanna, the cries becoming lighter until they subsided completely. Susanna softly lowered him into the bassinet again, kissing him on his head and whispering gently how much they loved him, stroking over William to help relax him further.

Sherlock continued to play until both parents were certain he was asleep, and then rested his instrument beside his nightstand. Susanna quietly got into bed and pulled the covers up, facing William. Sherlock climbed in after her and slipped his arms around her, resting his cheek against hers and pressing a long kiss to her jaw. No more words needed to be exchanged.

Susanna's hands rested over her stomach, followed by Sherlock's. It would take time for it to shrink back down to where it was before she'd gotten pregnant, but it had gone down enough to where it was clear to them that William was no longer there. Sherlock sighed into her hair and squeezed her closer to him, "Amazing..."

"Mmm?"

"Both of you. Amazing."

Thank you for reading!!