Baby's Company (I) {Susanna}

One Week Later

I finish straightening up the living room and inhale, letting it out slowly with a smile. Today we are finally allowing our closest friends to come see William. We made it though a week on our own- bonding with our handsome baby boy and enjoying our first days together as a family. The new grandparents, Mycroft, Paul, Thomas and Missus Hudson have all had plenty of time to interact as well. So we feel comfortable letting our inner circle come in and greet him too.

I look over at Sherlock who's holding William, or Hamish as he's sometimes affectionately called by the two of us, and grin. He's got William tucked snugly into his left arm, feeding him a bottle. For a few days I only breastfed William, but now we alternate with bottles during the day. We tried formula in them once and William hates it more than any other baby I've seen, but neither of us mind that he doesn't like it- it's not quite as healthy anyways.

Something I did not expect was that Sherlock would be so into bottlefeeding William himself. He jumps at every opportunity and it's adorable to watch him. He gets quite focused and never fails to burp William for no less than ten minutes. He's still working up to verbally expressing his sentiments towards his son, but he's been showing affection just as well in other ways.

"They'll be here soon, Darling."

"I know. He's almost finished anyways."

I clear my throat, "I meant, Darling, that you may want to change into something other than the bedsheet..?"

"A minute more then, Love." He doesn't care. He's so focused on William. I shake my head and chuckle.

"I'll finish up. Go get dressed," I instruct and pluck William from his arms, pecking his cheek. Sherlock pouts but gets up anyways and disappears into the bedroom with a flourish of the sheet. I look back down at William as he finishes the bottle, "Daddy's silly isn't he, Honey?" Sherlock grunts loudly from down the hall in response.

"So is Mummy." He calls back. I start burping William, shaking my head again.

"I'm not Mummy. I'm Mommy."

"Mummy's stubborn." Sherlock retorts and I sarcastically guffaw.

"I'm not a deceased Egyptian noble preserved in resin and wrapped in strips, Sherlock. Mommy," I laugh, "Although you might have passed for a mummy in that sheet."

He comes back out ten minutes later, freshened up, dressed in a dark blue button up and his black trousers. His hair is neatened up a bit. He brings out a blanket to wrap William up in, and one of his little hats. He gently puts it onto William's head and I use Sherlock's chair to swaddle him once he's through with burping. Unless it's me or Sherlock, William doesn't like being held if he's not swaddled into a neat little bundle, "I imagine Rosie will be overjoyed to see him."

"She'll probably want to hold him as well."

".... She might drop him, Love."

"Sherlock, if we have her sit on the sofa and one of us is with her, I think she'll be fine to hold him for a minute or two."

Sherlock gives me a look but says nothing more. He takes his seat in his chair and crosses his legs dramatically. Knowing he'll feel more secure being the one to hold little William when everyone arrives, I plant a gentle kiss on William's forehead and then lay him down in Sherlock's now raised lap. As expected, my husband perks up and cradles our son close to him, "I won't let anyone drop you, Little One."

"I don't believe they would let themselves drop him either, Darling." I chime and he gives me another look before returning his gaze to William, who's quite content at the moment. Fed, recently changed, bundled up, and safely in his daddy's arms. I take a seat on the armrest to watch.

Within ten more minutes, the downstairs door opens and we both know our company has arrived. Seconds later, a whimsical floral blur races into the living room. I stand up and catch Rosie before she can tackle Sherlock and by extension William, "Aunt Zuzu!"

"Hello, Rosie!" She hugs my legs and I embrace her as much as I'm able to, "It's wonderful to see you."

She giggles, "I mithed you!"

"So did we, Rosie." John walks in and hangs up his coat, smiling.

"Hullo, Susanna!"

"Hey, John!" He walks up and we hug briefly.

"Welcome, John." Sherlock adds warmly. Before Rosie can run up to him and William, John grabs her shoulder.

"Don't, Rosie. He's got William and you don't want to jostle him."

"Oh..." Rosie sobers. Brooklyn, Lestrade, and Molly enter next and we exchange hugs as well. Sherlock takes this as his cue and carefully rises to his feet with William securely snuggled into his arms.

Brooklyn immediately giggles with excitement to meet her godson. After officially presenting him, Sherlock reluctantly permits her to hold William. I stand close to Sherlock and squeeze his hand to reassure him that she won't inadvertently hurt our baby boy, "She's held newborns before, Darling. Don't worry."

"I can't help it, Love. I don't want anything to happen to him." He whispers back.

"I know."

Thank you for reading!!