Subtle {Susanna}

January 28

I poke my spoon into my almost empty bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream, sighing, "This baby needs to come out soon."

"They will, sweetie, don't worry," Ma chimes and rubs my shoulder, "Have you tried anything to try and get things going?"

"Yep." I pop the 'p' and continue to stare at the television, taking another spoonful of ice cream.

Brooklyn walks in from the kitchen, "You are severely lacking in comfort foods, Susanna."

"I know. I've haven't gotten to the Tesco yet to restock." She hums and then sighs.

"How about a trip there? Pick up a few goodies and such? Plus the walking will help. And if anything happens, we'll be there."

I look over at her, "Why haven't I thought of that?"

"Pregnancy Brain, especially now that you're so close. I think that's a lovely idea." Ma chirps. I exhale and nod, sitting up fully to put the bowl on the side table.

"A walk will do me good, and so will some more comfort foods. To Tesco it is then."

Brooklyn grins and goes to grab our coats, taking the finished bowl of ice cream to the sink. Ma helps me stand up without falling back into Sherlock's chair. As I'm getting my coat and scarf on I feel a funny sensation of discomfort in my stomach. Instinctively my hand flies up to my tummy and I take a short breath. Indigestion. We did eat a lot of spicy food last night, "Are you alright, Red?" The feeling vanishes as soon as it came.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Then why are you touching your bump like that?"

"Indigestion. You know I can't handle spicy food very well and that's what Sherlock made last night." Brooklyn seems satisfied. Ma doesn't, although she says nothing.

"Well then, let's go, shall we?" She ushers and I nod, sending a quick text to John to let him and Sherlock know I'm going out with Brooklyn and Ma. Then we head out, opting to walk. Brooklyn and I fall into step beside each other and Ma follows behind.

We end up spending a longer time at Tesco than we thought, partially because I just can't move as fast as I normally do and partially because the store is uncommonly busy. So we take a steady, slow pace and Ma has me push the cart, which gives me a brace to lean onto to help with my backache. I feel the funny warm sensation again at some point, but again it's gone in a flash so I write it off. It happens again as we're checking out. I lean over to Ma, "Let's get a Taxi home."

She nods knowingly, "That would be a good idea." So we catch a taxi and hurry back to the flat. Having purchased caramel turtle and fudge brownie mixes, as well as ingredients to make cookies, we set to work in the kitchen, blasting music and just relaxing. I manage to get my mind off of the strange feelings that continue to tingle in my abdomen.

However, eventually, the sensations turn into milder cramps and the warmth increases. Finally I relent and excuse myself to the loo.

Ma is waiting with a sly expression when I return, "What?"

"Indigestion, sweetie?"

"Yeah..."

She chuckles, "I don't think so. You know how many women think it's indigestion when they start labor?" She then holds up her phone, opened to a time log in a maternity app, "I've been timing these cramps. Look."

I reluctantly take her phone and scroll down the record. So that's why she had her phone out. She said she was texting Rhett and Mason, but I knew she was hiding something. As I notice the pattern in the timing and length of the cramps, my jaw slips open, "They're regulating..."

"Twenty five minutes apart, twenty seconds long. Over a period of three hours," Ma grins, "And have they been getting more intense?"

"Yes! And the baby isn't moving as much either..," I look up from the phone, "I'm... This is..."

"Let's call Doctor Kirtley and just make sure before we burst apart with excitement, okay, sweetie?" I nod and whip out my phone to call the Obstetrician. Please let this be real labor. I don't think I can wait to see the baby for too much longer.

Brooklyn all but hangs on my right shoulder as I ring up the clinic. Ma leans in too. The receptionist picks up and I have her grab Doctor Kirtley.

"Hello, Missus Holmes! How are you doing?"

"I think I'm in early labor now."

"That's wonderful! Excellent! Have you been tracking the contractions?"

"My mother started tracking them three hours ago. I thought it was indigestion. But right now they're twenty five minutes apart and twenty seconds long."

"And they're building in intensity?"

"Yes. Especially since we walked to Tesco earlier." I give her a few more details, wanting to give her as much information as possible. She considers everything, leaving a pause.

"Many women say that early contractions feel like indigestion cramps and so they ignored them. Fortunately your mother started timing them," Her voice brightens, "You're in labor now, Missus Holmes! You're already fully effaced so things should move pretty smoothly. Remember to call the alternative birth center and give them the heads up." She gives me instructions and a few tips before letting me go. I quickly call the birth center and they concur that I am officially in early labor.

Once I hang up, Brooklyn and I burst into a fit of giggles and excited squeals. We all go in for a group hug and soon after another contraction comes on. We time it, and then I pick up my phone. Time to tell Sherlock.

Thank you for reading!!