(16) Fantasy or Reality?

A/N: Thanks so much for your awesome comments- they were so lovely! :D A/N

Chapter 16

The basketball game continued, but Daniel and I just sat there, side my side, our arms and sneakers touching. Happy jitters of joy and excitement scampered through me, just from being near him, and I had no doubt how I felt about him.

I was falling for him. Falling like I had leapt off a cliff, and was tumbling through the air, with no way to stop and nothing to break my fall.

It was terrifying, but exhilarating as well, and I never wanted the feeling to end.

“Black! We’re losing, here!” some senior called, and Daniel stood up. My arm felt cold where it had been touching his, and my stomach swooped with disappointment. Even though we hadn’t been talking, just sitting there, enjoying his company, had been enough.

Daniel shot me a playful smile, one that made my heart beat faster, and said, “Come on, Rivera. Let’s go kick some ass.”

He leapt on his bike, and immediately entered the game. It took me a little longer to step onto my skateboard and push off after him.

I’d never had a proper crush on a guy before. Was it supposed to feel like this? Frightening, exciting, wonderful, thrilling...

“Watch it, Blondie!”

My head swivelled towards the yell, and my first thought was, Who the hell just called me Blondie? before I noticed a bike barrelling towards me at top speed. I kicked off from the road and shot out the way just as a tall, tough looking girl braked to a stop exactly where I’d been standing a second ago.

“Well that was smart, wasn’t it?” she snapped, shooting me a glare with fierce dark eyes. “Standin’ there in the middle of a game. Were you tryin’ to get hit or what?”

Abruptly, I snapped into defensive mode. “I wasn’t exactly expecting some bitch to come and crush, y’know.”

The girl didn’t react to the bitch comment, but her eyes narrowed into shards of black glass. “If you didn’t wanna be crushed, get outta the fuckin’ game.”

I smiled winningly at her. “I would, but my time can’t afford to lose me.” I nodded to Harrison as he wheeled past. “Right, Harrison?”

“Whatever you say, Alexis,” he said, shooting me a grin.

The girl shook her head, dark brown hair curling round her shoulders. “Whatever, Blondie.” She began to cycle away.

“Hey!” I yelled after her. “You can call me Bitch as much as you like, but if you call me Blondie, I swear I’ll murder you in your sleep!”

A few heads swivelled to me, surprised at my random outburst. They soon went back to their game, leaving Bitch girl staring at me.