Chapter 11

The weather was beginning to cool off quickly as the seasons change. I hugged my sweater close to me as I watched Maribella light the fire in the parlor. I sat curled up on the couch beneath a cotton blanket. My position was disturbed when the all too familiar brunette slipped beneath the blanket next to me.

     "Before the two of you leave tomorrow, there are things that need to be discussed." Belle said turning to us. "It was brought to my attention that a few members from the southern region were spotted on the western isles while the two of you were there."

     Shit.

     "Now I know I have asked before, but I am going to ask again." She said, looking directly at me. "Did you see anything suspicious while you were there?"

     I hesitated. I didn't want to say yes in fear of Belle calling war too early, but I wasn't sure how long I would be able to keep this lie from her. Especially with Genevieve being paranoid about it every five minutes.

     "What exactly are you planning to do if they were on the island?" I asked, hoping not to give away my knowledge of wondering shadows those nights.

     "First off, they were there. Secondly, if you are afraid of me declaring war on the southern region, you are for no reason." She said. "My plans aren't to attack them just yet. Rather we build upon army and prepare for when they decide to attack us."

     "Are you sure that's a good idea?" Genevieve asked.

     "Certain, now answer my question." Belle demanded.

     "Well, Genevieve said she saw someone but when I went to check there was no one in sight except a security guard in the distance." I said. "Other than that, nothing."

     "Are you sure?" She asked.

    "Nothing, Belle." I reassured her.

     "Well than, I want the two of you to be extra careful in Brinkland. If they can travel to the western isles, they can certainly travel there." She said and left us.

     We sat in silence for some minutes. Genevieve began to open her mouth to say something but I quickly shushed her. I knew exactly what she was going to say. She had been pestering me about what had me so upset that night for the past two weeks. I wasn't in the mood to explain my whole life story to someone, especially not her of all people.
      She was going to say something again when she was interrupted by none other than the very exuberant Aleah.

     "Girl, guess what!" She exclaimed.

     "What?" I asked her, quite unenthused.

      "Well never mind then, grouchy. Aw when's the last time you got some?" Aleah asked me.

      "Rude." I said, causing Genevieve to laugh softly. 

      "Genevieve, you want to take care of this?" Aleah said looking at the woman beside me.

     "Don't even, she's not speaking to me at the moment." Genevieve answered.

     "Good lord, we can't be doing this." Aleah said. She walked over to the large wine cabinet on the opposite side of the room.

     "What are you doing?" I asked her.

     "What I do best, getting you drunk." She said. She pulled out a bottle of Shiraz and three glasses. "Genevieve? Wine?"

     "Sure." Genevieve replied.

     "We can't drink tonight, we have to leave for Brinkland tomorrow and I would rather not be hung over." I told Aleah.