Chapter 19 Winter Gala pt.2

Alessandra's point of view

I felt something. Like a tightness in my chest. A grab at my airway, causing me to stop breathing for a moment.

"Are you alright, dear?" Genevieve's mother rested her hand on my shoulder.

"Yes, I'm alright," I lied.

It was like a sudden wind threatened to knock me off of my feet. Something was odd, I just wasn't sure what.

"Hi, Aless!" A high pitched voice from my side sounded.

It was one of my many younger cousins, Ashten. Only about five or six.

"Ashten, hello," I said to him. "This is my little cousin."

I pushed him forward, hoping to cause a distraction to Genevieve's parents so I could wander off and find her.

"Aye, how are you, young man?" King Rolten addressed him.

Ashten turned to me.

"Why do they speak funny?" He asked.

"They're not from here, Ashten," Killian appeared next to me.

He gave me a look and proceeded to make up an excuse to walk away.

"Have you seen Genevieve?" I asked.

"No, I was going to ask you the same. I noticed her siblings were here earlier and wanted to know if she was aware," he answered.

"Her brothers are here? Where?" I scanned the ballroom.

"No idea. I figure all three of them have gone to chat somewhere," Killian answered.

"Well I need to find her," I stated and began to walk off.

"Everything alright?" Killian stopped me.

I turned back to face him.

"Something just seems off," I said honestly.

     He nodded his head. Not necessarily in agreement, but to show that he understood my concern.

     I began wandering around, searching through the many people dressed in rich fabrics. None of which resembling the black lace gown that once belonged to my mother. Clearly, something was wrong. I hadn't even seen her step away earlier when chatting with her parents.

"Alessandra," Maribella called out to me.

I looked over to see her standing with Maxwell and her mother.

I hesitantly walked over with Killian still behind me.

"You look like a lost rabbit, Alessandra," my aunt greeted me.

I was in no mood for her constant disapproval.

"Where is Genevieve?" Belle whispered to me.

"I'm unsure," I said.

"I need you to find her. There was sight caught of a dark vehicle exiting the front gates. No one saw who was in it," Belle continued.

"Stop filling that girl's head with nonsense, Maribella! I'm sure it was just an unpleased guest taking an early departure," Aunt Quarian huffed.

I shook my head. Obviously leaving before the gala even began seemed a bit sketchy. This only made the empty feeling in my chest weigh heavier.

"Come on, let's keep looking," Killian grabbed my arm and led me away.

Millions of thoughts were running through my head. Maybe I'm overthinking. Maybe she's in the bathroom. Maybe I should've listened to her when she told me what Dealia saw.