02: His Name Is Langa 📮

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves."
-Henry David Thoreau

When I woke up this morning, the sun was already out but nobody came to open my curtains. Mrs Kane didn't even walk in with my breakfast yet. If I want to change my lifestyle then I guess I better start making progress too.

I peeled the covers off my body and went into my bathroom to brush my teeth. My cornrows were tight and I could hear my scalp crying for help.

There was a nice aroma in the air which led me to go downstairs and check was Mrs Kane is cooking.

"'Sup 'Rents" I greeted. My dad looked up from the newspaper he was holding and gave me a wink you wouldn't have noticed if you blinked.

"Hi honey" he said.

"What happened to you, where did you go yesterday..." and honestly, I zoned out after that. My Mind was filled with donuts and muffins and I was eagerly waiting for Aiden to confirm our little 'event' today.

"...and you turn out like this." My mother finished off. I gave her one looked and I was very disappointed. I wanted to tell her that I was at the cafe she worked at yesterday, thinking that it would shine a light inside that black hole she called a heart.

"There's no use fighting with you because you won't listen" I said walking towards the kitchen.

"Mrs Launter, I was just about to bring breakfast to your room" Mrs Kane said setting the food on a small tray.

There was a plate of avocado toast with egg. I took one look at the plate of food and my stomach instantly turned. The rest of my family was eating my favourites, which consisted of bacon and beef patties.

"I'll have to kindly reject this food Mrs Kane, I'll have a breakfast bar" I said taking it from the counter and going back to my room.

The day hasn't even started yet but I already know that it's going to be filled with a lot of... fun.

This word sounds funny coming from my mouth, but I like it. Fun fun fun, fun in the sun. The beach! Maybe we could go to the beach today.

I hugged my phone tight and I felt my heart vibrate, oh wait no, silly me it was my phone. A notification!

I quickly placed my fingerprint on the back of the device and it unlocked as I rushed to go see my messages.

Aiden: In 20 min meet @ d prk.

Me: Type properly. I got your message. Thanks

I switched off my phone and threw it on my bed as I rushed to the bathroom. I kept singing inside the shower. I felt really happy since I was given a chance to be someone else, but can I trust Aiden?

I put my gut instincts aside for a second and chose my happiness.

I ran my hands through my closet and decided to wear a dress I've never worn before, it was a gift from Aunt Phindile who was my mother's friend. She has purchased the dress for me at
Cotton On .

It was an off shoulder dress and it fit me perfectly. It was bright yellow and I'm sure I was going to lighten up the room when I walked in.

"I'm heading out, I'll be back at 5pm" I said as I jogged down the stairs.

"Have fun honey" dad said packing his briefcase.

"Do you want me to drop you off?" My dad asked.

"Yes please" I said walking towards my dad's BMW X6. My mom appeared and stood in front of the door.

"Where are you going miss? I signed you up for karate class" she said as she took slow steps towards me.

"Cancel them" my dad said speaking up for me.

I love my mother very much but I am tired of seeking for her attention and approval. She has done her part in raising me and I think I'll take it from here.

"But honey, the pres-"

"Cancel it Vanessa" my dad said. He always has the final say in everything, this actually worked in my favour today.

I felt like sticking my tounge out at my mother but I know she'll drag me by my cornrows and make me sit my ass on the couch.

We entered the vehicle and my dad lowered the volume on the stereo.

"Now honey, your mother might act very tough and that's because she loves you. She has had a rough childhood growing up and she just doesn't want you to experience what she did" my dad said changing the gears of his car.

"How will I learn if I don't make mistakes?" I asked.

He sighed deeply and gave me a quick glance.

"That's something I can't answer. It was not easy growing up in the rural areas like your mother Ada and well, I really don't know what to say. I suck at this, don't I?" He asked as we came to a stop at the park.

"Not bad dad" I said giving him a kiss on the cheek. I get that it was hard being my parents since they are an interracial couple, but they should let me live.

"Enjoy yourself princess, but not too much. Call me if you want me to pick you up" he said blowing me a kiss as he drove away.

I heard strange noises in the bushes and almost pulled out my can of pepper spray, but was relieved when I saw that it was Aiden.

"Geez, I almost died" I said placing my hand on my beating heart. It sounds like a gqom beat inside of here.

"Well hello to you too" he said smirking. I smiled at him and sat down on the nearest bench, not before putting hand sanitizer on it.

"It's been quite a while since I last came here, I was 6 or so. I find it weird that your name is Aiden since you're...brown?" I asked as I looked at him up and down.

"Aren't you a chatterbox. Well then, don't call me Aiden. I dont even like that name" he said sitting down next to me.

"What should I call you then?" I asked staring into his eyes.

"Call me Langa" he said. We stared at the children playing on the swings for about 10 minutes. No conversation between us but I liked the silence.

"Great, see you again tomorrow. It was nice of you to take me out" I said standing up to dust tiny dust particles off my dress.

"The day has just begun Ada, come let's go" he said giving me his hand to take.

"The day has just begun"....

◇●◇●◇●
What's the latest movie you watched ?
I recently watched "The Spy who dumped me" and damn was it funny.