23: Safe Place 📮

"Life is a school where you learn how to remember what your soul already knows."
-Anonymous

(A/N: If it's not too much to ask for, could you please answer the question at the end of the chapter)

It's been a week since I've been in Ndwedwe. I knew that this is the last place they'll look for me at because I never visit my grandmother.

Yes, you heard that right. My mother's mother. I haven't seen her for over a decade but she's welcomed me with open arms. This is where it all began.

The last time I saw this woman was a few days before we moved to Umhlanga. I've heard stories of how I used to live here before my mother dated Robert.

I was now in my grandmother's room folding her clothes. She walked in with a cup of tea in her hands.

"Drink this, don't overwork yourself" she said.

She was right, I was not used to this lifestyle. For the first three days I almost died because I was given quite a lot of chores even though I was pregnant, my grandmother told me that 'pregnancy is not a disability'.

I received a long lecture and I almost got a good hiding but she refrained from doing that. She has been tough on me for the past days and kept on pointing out that I have soft hands because I don't do anything back home.

I sat down on her bed and took a sip of the tea.

"Thank you gogo" I said. I placed my hand on my stomach, it was not very visible to someone who didn't know I was pregnant.

"We have to go to town today" she said. I sighed heavily.

Inanda was the closest town there was by Ndwedwe and it was not very 'Umhlanga-like'.

"Gogo who will look after Mkhulu if we both leave?"

"He's been sick for over a year and all of a sudden you care about his health. Go boil some water so you can bath" she said shooing me out of her room.

Mkhulu, was diagnosed with schizophrenia a couple of years ago. My mother and I were told but we never even bothered to come and check up on them. She has horrible memories of this place so she's made it her mission to never come back.

I was surprised when Gogo welcomed me with open arms last week. She was my only hope.

"Okay" I said dragging the word to show that I don't even like going to Inanda with her. I withdrew all of my money from my savings account so my parents wouldn't be able to track me according to the store I swiped my card in.

After bathing in the bathroom with two kettles of hot water, I wore a pair of jeans and a floral blue vest. My hair was in its natural state. I put it up in a huge bun and wore some gloss, just because I live here doesn't mean I shouldn't look nice.

My Grandmother walked out of her room wearing a matching two piece outfit with a black headdress and her wedge heels.

"You look beautiful MaSibiya "

"Thanks my love. Go start the car." She said. I took the keys to her white Chevrolet Sparks and headed towards the garage . I saw a bunch of girls walking down the road and one of them called me over. They all started giggling. I was nervous at first, afraid that they were going to judge me but then I realised that these people don't know who I am. I can start my life afresh, but in order to do that, I shouldn't lie to them cause your lies will always catch up to you in the end.