24: Inhlawulo📮

Who would have thought that I would be in eNdwedwe living with my grandmother three months ago?

Who would have thought that today marks the third month of my pregnancy?

"Life is not guaranteed," this was Nathan's favourite quote but I never took it seriously. I'm the same girl who thought that by 18, I would have my own car and have had received a penthouse as a gift from my parents.

I was your average C student, I didn't take school seriously because I had nothing to work for, no encouragement whatsoever. I knew that even if I fail school, I'd still get my monthly allowance and also receive anything I want in a golden platter.

I was spoiled.

The whole self discovery journey I was on, it was pure and utter bullshit. Going to a high school party and eating braai meat under a huge umbrella was not going to help me discover who I am.

That was my problem, I was never lost. I was currently sitting in the rondevel with Mbali. They have been very kind to me ever since I set foot here and they never judged me.

"Are you okay Siphokazi?" She asked me.

"I'm okay. Its not like I'm getting married or anything" I laughed nervously.

Mbali had explained the whole process of "ukuhlawula", where the person who impregnated you has to pay money for damages. They have to cleanse the house with a goat, which could be live or in the form of cash.

Langa's family was in the main house. They arrived in a big, black SUV. Men in shiny suits came out of the vehicle, they looked like power.

"This will soon be over soon, I'm sure they're eating now"

"Let me go ch-"

"Easy there, stay put. Langa is not there" she said rolling her eyes.

My grandmother was over the moon when I told her that I received a message from Langa asking to come and pay for the damage he has done.

I didn't bother contacting my mother, or my father. I wanted this to be something private. This is my new family now.

My phone buzzed, it was a message from Langa again asking if his uncle's are still inside the house. I quickly sent him a text replying and went back to wearing a frown on my face.

"Langa seems like a good guy" she said trying to start a conversation. I was not in the mood to talk. I readjusted the straps on my pinafore and tightened them to keep my hands busy.

"He's okay"

"I'm going to get some air" she said as she stood up from the ground and dusted off some dust particles from her behind.

"Sure" I sat inside the rondevel and starting looking at all the animal skulls and skin that was hanging from the top.

Mbali came back a few seconds later and stood in front of the door.

"What now?" She was breathing heavily, wiping the sweat off her forehead.

"There's someone out there who wants to see you," my eyes widened and I quickly regained my composure.

"Who is it?"

"Well he didn't tell me his name, but he knew who you are" she said walking back inside the rondevel. I stepped outside of the small hut and walker towards the main road.

"Psshh" I heard a voice. I looked around but I couldn't see anything.

I felt two pairs of hands blocking my eyes. Out of shock, I quickly turned around and kicked the side of the attacker's knee.