20: Survival📮

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes but in having new eyes.
-Marcel Proust

I've been away from school for the past three weeks, ignoring everyone in the process excluding Nathan and Charmaine.

Every day after school they come and checked up on me. My mother recommended that I start home schooling but I told her that I'm still going to think about it. Shawn called me non stop everyday until he got tired and stopped calling. Even Samkelo tried talking to me.

I don't have a bump yet and today I finally mastered the courage to go to my appointment and check the baby's heartbeat with an ultrasound.

I wore a loose shirt and sweatpants, my braids were a mess so I wore a bandana and headed downstairs. I've tried reaching out to Langa through Precious but she keeps on lying to my face.

My mother took the car keys off the tabletop and we made our way to the doctor.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I'm just going to check for the heartbeat mother I'll be fine" I said sighing and placed my head on the window.

We found a parking spot and we headed inside the building. The doctor from the hospital referred me to a gynecologist and I hope that it's a woman, it'll be uncomfortable if it's a man.

"Yes...okay thank you" my mother was doing all of the talking for me while I sat down on the chairs.

"Come let's go honey" I stood up and dragged my feet towards the office.

It was decorated with pictures of baby scans and there was a small play area for babies in the left hand side of the room.

We sat down and waited for the doctor to come in.

"Hello guys, I'm Dr Zungu, I'm assuming that you're Ada" the doctor said referring to my mother.

"Oh no ma'am. Ada is my daughter" she said holding in a laugh.

"Oh, how are you guys today?" She asked as she took out her notebook.

"We're good. I brought in my daughter today, we came to check on the little one growing inside her" my mother said placing her hand on my belly.

"That's great. Just get on the bed and we'll get started" she said. She first sanitised the bed and I layed on it as she put ultrasound gel on my stomach. A device was placed on my belly and she told me to look at the screen next to me.

"There it is. It's confirmed you're really pregnant. This is the heart" she said pointing to, who am I kidding? I don't know what she was pointing at.

"Would you like me to print it out for you?" She asked.

"Yes, please" my mother said excitedly.

"Okay"

The gynecologist asked me a lot of questions which I answered uncomfortably. After a few minutes I received a brochure on teenage pregnancy with other alternatives.

After the appointment we were on the road, on our way to grab something to eat.

"Isn't it cute. We can do this Ada" my mother said placing her hand over mine.

"Mom.."

"Okay, I'll stop. I'm sorry" she said. She parked the car at Nandos and asked me what I want to eat.

"I'll have a hot double chicken burger, the chicken wrap and the chicken salad."

"I have a list of what you should and shouldn't-" I gave my mother a hard glare after she said that and she gave in and went inside.