Chapter 1

Chapter 1

**

Sophia

"Mom, I am going to work. I won't be coming here again tonight." I said, rushing around my old room to find my keys that I just dropped in yesterday after taking my Mom to the grocery shopping.

"Why not?" I heard her voice coming closer towards my room. Groaning loudly, cause I couldn't find my keys, and I was getting super late for my job.

"Because I've been staying here for almost a week. I need to go back to my apartment some day." I said, still looking around for my keys. "Have you seen my keys?"

"You mean this?" She asked, walking into my room and towards my study table, where the keys were sitting.

Slapping my forehead, I quickly grabbed those from my Mom. I gave myself a once over in the mirror and nodded. I looked presentable enough to go to work. My straight blonde hair ran down a little past my shoulder and my green eyes look dull with prominent bags under them, probably due to the fact that I have a lot of stress and responsibilities that I have to deal with. I was wearing a pencil skirt and a plain white shirt tucked inside neatly. I wasn't too thin nor too fat. I was just somewhere in the middle. According to me, I didn't have many curves, but according to my sister, I had curves that one could die for. Once I was satisfied with my appearance, I ran downstairs. "Thanks, Maa. And don't worry. I'll keep in touch. You just take care of dad and Carol for me."

"I will, sweetie. Just don't exert yourself." She said, giving me a concern look.

"I'll try not to, but we have to pay those bills off." I said, trying not to sound too harsh.

"It's going to be okay, honey. I just know it." She said, giving me hug. "Now off you go. It's already very late." She ushered me out of the door.

Quickly unlocking my door, I pulled the driver's seat door open and sat inside, throwing my bag to the passenger side and made my way towards my job. My job was nothing special. I worked in a sales department of a small company which wasn't that great in the market. My pay was average if not below it. But I didn't really have an option since I couldn't get a job anywhere else. I had only completed my high school when my sister got in a car accident and injured her leg which required operation. Operation requires a lot of money which we didn't have so we had to loan some money from my Dad's friend who happens to be the boss of the company I work for. To pay off the debt, I started working there. My qualifications weren't great for me to get a job some place big where the money was good and there was a scope for me in future. Still I decided to look for a new job which pays a little high and I could easily pay off without having to work here.

My family wasn't very poor, but we didn't come off as rich either. It was sometimes difficult to pay the bills as Dad's salary was average and he couldn't exactly support our small family from small salary. I wanted to work somewhere where the money would be enough for us to meet our daily needs.

Sighing, I parked the car in the parking lot and made my way inside. I quickly greeted my boss before sitting down on my chair and starting with the long day ahead.

**

"Miss Bennett, I would like to see you in my office." Mr. Anderson, my boss called.

I nodded and quickly closed my book where I was writing some notes and kept my computer on stand-by before making my way inside his office. "Yes, Sir?"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me sir when we are alone?" He asked, smiling at me.

I cringed a little, but thankfully he didn't notice as he was busy staring at my legs. Mr. Anderson wasn't a 40 year old pervert. In fact, he was quite young for his age but that did not by any chance mean that he is any less of a flirt. His full name was Joseph Anderson. I don't know his middle name and never bothered to ask either. He was 25 years old, working as the CEO of his father's company. His father is my Dad's friend, hence how I got the job. Joseph always tried to flirt with me, invite me out to parties, even at some important ball that is held from time to time where all the businessmen come together and spend time in talking about business and what not. But I always denied his request because I didn't want to give him any indication that I was interested in him. One more reason why I wanted to quit this job.