Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Play the song 'Say Something' by A Great Big World throughout this chapter.

**

Sophia

I was dreading this moment. I didn't know how I should break this news to William without hurting him and myself. Even though, we weren't in a relationship, there was an undeniable spark there and leaving William would affect me. I wasn't sure about William's reaction though. I didn't know his feelings towards me. During our walk in Italy, he never really mentioned that he liked me. He said he wanted me, but I am sure it wasn't in a relationship kind of a way. It was more of a physical relationship than any other. Maybe it won't affect him that much, but it surely will cause me pain.

"Is everything okay?" William asked from next to me. We were sitting in his car to talk as I requested.

"I-I," I stuttered and gulped, avoiding any eye contact.

"Sophia, you can tell me anything. I'm here for you." William spoke softly, taking my hand in his.

I snatched my hands away and folded them in my lap. "Why were you talking to Carol?"

"I came searching for you in the hospital. The nurse gave me the room number and I saw her outside. I wanted to know if you are okay." He said. There was a slight hesitation in his voice. William was never the one to hesitate. He was usually his confident self.

"Why?"

"Because I like you." He admitted.

I snapped my head towards him as I stared at him wide eyes. "W-What?"

"I like you, Sophia. I like being with you. You make me feel things that I haven't felt before. I can't see tears in your eyes. It makes me want to hurt the person who hurt you. And when you smile, it just brightens my day. I know it hasn't been long since we've known each other, but I have never felt this way for anyone else." He confessed.

I looked at him with tears in my eyes. My heart was hurting because I knew what I was going to say next will hurt him. It will break him. A loud sob left my mouth as I shook my head and got out of the car.

"Sophia!" William exclaimed as he followed me and got out of the car. "Why are you crying?"

I shook my head and began walking fast away from him, away from his concern face. I couldn't go far enough as I was pulled back into a hard chest. "No."

"Shush. Don't cry. I'm here." William muttered softly into my ears as he hugged me, rubbing my back in a soothing manner. "What's wrong, Sophia?"

I wiped my tears and pushed him away. "I can't do this, William."

A look of concern passed through his face. He tried to reach out to me, but I shook my head and took a step back. A hurt look passed his eyes, but he masked it quickly. "What do you mean?"

"I can't do this," I said, pointing between us. "I don't like you, William. I never did. You were just a man I was sleeping with and that's it. It was purely no strings attach."

My heart broke even more as I saw the pain look on his face. "You mean to say you never felt a thing for me? Those kisses and our time together meant nothing to you?"

"Yes. It didn't mean anything to me. I was attracted to you but only for your body. There were never feelings involved. Those kisses meant nothing to me. Our time together meant nothing to me!" I lied.

"You're lying." He stated, his voice filled with pain. "I can see it in your eyes that you are lying to me, Sophia. Is this related to the fight you had with your father? I can talk to him."