You've Got Some Explaining To Do

For the third time today, I wake up in the spacious four poster bed. The pain has subsided slightly but seems to have been replaced by a guilty ache pulsing through my body.

I keep my eyes closed as I can hear angry whispers coming from outside the now doorless doorframe.

"You don't even fucking know her. She's my girlfriend, my Alpha!" Michael tries to keep his voice to a whisper but the anger in his voice has it at a level I can hear clearly.

"She's my mate. She needs me now." The husky voice of Christopher sounds strained with anger and sadness and although I don't want to admit it, I feel bad for him.

Michael hisses at him and I hear Alpha Carl chime in.

"Listen Chris, I know this is difficult but I think it's best Michael speaks with her. He's her Beta and her boyfriend. I think she needs someone familiar right now. She didn't exactly recognise you as her mate and I'm not sure what to make of that."

There's a crash that sounds like a fist through a wall then stomping and swearing as someone, presumably Christopher, storms away.

I take that as my cue.

"Michael?" I call out.

"I'm here, baby." He enters fully dressed, thankfully, and walks up to sit next to me on the bed, a strained look on his face.

This was his nightmare, mine too to be honest. I really thought I would spend the rest of my life with Michael, pups and all. This certainly makes things a little more complicated.

Alpha Carl pokes his head round the door.

"Uh, hi... Hey—" He waves awkwardly from the space where the door used to hang.

I chuckle at such a big man acting so nervous, he looks like the type of man to take anything in his stride. After our chat last night I feel really at ease with him. He could become a good ally and a good friend.

"Come in Carl, awkwardness does not suit you." I try to keep the tone light, but underneath it I'm feeling all sorts of negative emotions.

He shuffles in the room and walks over to us.

"I'm sorry for my brother's behaviour..." My smile falls as he speaks. "He will apologise for himself but I thought you might want a break from him until you process this."

His eyes fall on mine and I can tell he feels bad for this whole situation. After our chat last night, I'm not overly surprised at Christopher's behaviour. In the stories he seemed to run hot and let his passion take over; definitely not someone to remain calm and in control in the heat of the moment. I was disappointed I didn't even have a bedroom door for my stay now though.

I look at the door and roll my eyes.

"Oh, I'll have that fixed today." Carl says reassuringly. I nod and sigh. Michael's eyes are fixed firmly on the ground and I reach out to rest my hand on his. He flinches away from it and I wince at the act of rejection. He's hurt but there's nothing I can do to fix it.

"He said he's my mate?" I say, still confused at what has happened. "But I didn't feel anything. No pull to him, no love, only pain." Michael looks up at me in disbelief while Carl's brows knot together in a frown. We all knew this isn't how meeting your mate should feel. Although there was a little flutter, it was an attraction to his deep voice and stunning looks; nothing uncommon for people who appreciate a sexy man. Maybe Christopher is wrong.

"I think the pain you felt was his. He came in and immediately caught your scent. I had to explain your situation to him and he literally fell to his knees like I'd punched him full pelt in the chest." Carl's eye's dance around as he speaks, never landing on mine for fear of my response.