Submission

I walk towards the large crowd gathered around the main circle in the training ground.

All of the Alphas and Betas have gathered as well as what appears to be most of Carl's pack.

I have never been challenged for my title before. He was right, technically I was handed my Alpha status. What's more, I have never fought another Alpha before. Alphas became stronger with the strength of their pack and although I had fought Michael regularly, he was not the Alpha; he did not hold the additional power.

Internally I am panicking. I have been away from my pack for a week and a half, I haven't trained at all and I have barely let my wolf out. I am slacking in the Alpha department being here with Christopher.

Brad is already in the circle, jumping and stretching like an overexcited jock. I roll my eyes, unable to hide my disgust for his behaviour.

Arrogant prick. I'm ready for you.

I smile, glad that my wolf is ready for a fight. Although this was unlike any fight I have had before. This is a fight to the death or submission. But something tells me that Brad will never submit to me, so that leaves only death.

I don't kill mercilessly, it's not in my nature. It's partially what makes me a True Alpha. If I kill mercilessly, I'll just become one of them. Brad was right when he said I'm not one of them. And I want to keep it that way.

My unease continues as I enter the circle and look around at the crowd. Christopher isn't here and I can't smell him close by. It seems strange he wouldn't support me but maybe he didn't want to watch me get beat up or maybe he wouldn't be able to stop himself from jumping in to save me.

As if I'll need to be saved from the likes of him.

Oh, she's ready for a fight. I chuckle to myself.

Carl steps into the circle, his face screwed with anguish. All muttering stops as he addresses us and the crowd.

"The challenge will take place now, in fur. This is a fight to the death or submission. The winner will gain control of the loser's pack." He turns to look at me, eyes filled with worry.

"I bet you'd look good submitting to me, angel." Brads voice comes from behind Carl, a smirk plastered on his face.

"You have no idea, and never will." I wink at him while swishing my hair, hoping to throw him off with my feminine whiles. If he can use his masculinity to unnerve me then I can certainly bat my eyelids to do the same.

He licks his lips at my comment and I instantly regret it. Men can be disgusting at times.

He shifts into his wolf first and I quickly follow. Gasps come from the crowd. I forget Carl's pack have only heard whispers of my wolf but now they are witnessing her for themselves.

My gold fur shines brighter under the midday sun, my exaggerated canines showing as a result of my snarls at Brad. I stand about two feet taller than him. His soft brown wolf is of average size, nothing I hadn't faced before. But I know his pack is large so he will hold significant power.

We circle each other, sizing each other up. As I walk, I feel a strange feeling in my stomach before a sharp jab of pain hits my rib cage. I hold back a yelp as it's taken me off guard. Brad hasn't even touched me, he is at the opposite side of the circle, yet I am in pain. I take a sidestep as I lose balance and hear mutters from the crowd.

Brad notices my unbalance and takes his opportunity to strike. He stops across from me and pulls back ready to pounce. As he lunges at me, I feel another blow to my ribs and again it's not coming from Brad. I ignore the sharp stabs and lunge forward to meet him to engage in the fight.