Conversations (15)

AN: Please vote for the chapter

Dimitri

I was now so accustomed to the title of James Rodrick that I felt like I had now truly accomplished the task of living like a human. I would spend most of my evenings out with Rebecca exploring the town and doing human things.

Humans weren't half as bad as I had thought them to be. It was rather nice living as a human actually. I would always end up dropping Rebecca off at work in the evenings. I had tried arguing with her about working at a bar full of drunk men, but she wasn't having it and I quote, "If you have any misogynistic comments about my work, please shove it up your ass and never mention them to me again."

"Well good evening, Mr Rodrick. Please do come in," She said pulling me out my thoughts. "Thank you my lady," I said as I did a quick bow and entered her house. Her mouth was filled with her coconut scent. It had literally engulfed my nostrils but in a pleasant way. Everything about this woman was starting to grow on me. "What have I told you about titles, James? I hate them. I am no lady. Besides, the royals can just go screw themselves," she said and closed the door.

I knew that there was something deeper that caused her to hold such resentment for the royals. I was royal after all still so, I needed to know what it was. "What have the royals done to you?" I asked as I followed her lead while taking in my surroundings. "Well, it's just that... Shit the foods burning!" she muttered and scurried off to the kitchen. I did not smell the burning until after she said it. The coconuts were all I could really smell. Or at least all that my brain could perceive.

Rebecca's house was rather intimate. She didn't have any pictures up of her family, but she had all kinds of African art on her walls. She liked art as well. That's another thing we have in common. Well, I liked drawing but you get what I mean. The pieces on her wall were put together such as to tell a story. I sad and lonely story. I then looked around and noticed that she had no family photo's up. Women love having pictures of their family all over, so why didn't she have any up?

"Dinner is ready so come on, let me prove to you that I can make better Jollof rice," she said as she came in with a pot in her hands. I then proceeded to help her set up the table as we made small talk. I could literally speak to her about anything. It felt really nice. I guess I was haste in my judgment of humans after all.

I had only taunt Rebecca about the food because I happened to like our little arguments, but she had been rather adamant on proving her point and here we were. I honestly couldn't complain though. The food looked great.

XXXXxxx

"My dad had taught me this recipe," she started speaking again after I had finally given in that her cooking was better indeed. She was very happy that I had agreed with her. But I couldn't lie to her, her cooking was much better. Besides, the smile she wore right now was reason enough for me to agree with her.

Rebecca had a captivating smile. One where her eyes crinkled and her entire face glowed. Have I mentioned that her laughter was one of the sweetest things I had ever heard? It was such a shame that whenever she laughed or smiled, she hid her face from me.

"When he was too lazy to cook, my dad would take me to African World. And he was lazy often. So, it turned out that we ate there regularly. Now its tradition for me to go eat there regularly too. It's become a part of who I am... One day he woke my mom and I up and to say goodbye."

I could immediately feel the drop in atmosphere as she went on, "But I felt as though something wasn't right. See that day he hugged me a little tighter and longer. It was as if he knew what was going to happen," she said finally returning from her trance and looking at me. I could see that she wasn't done speaking so, I kept quiet and listened.

"He died in the war. Then King Leonard did re-compensations for all those who lost in the war as if money could cover up the loss. Funny enough though my mom and I had not gotten a cent, no apology, nothing, we got nothing. I didn't need or want the money really. I just wanted recognition that his death was acknowleged. I don't know. I wanted something at least.

This was when the tears started rolling down her face. I was stuck contemplating getting tissues or waiting for her to finish her story. I wasn't sure that she was done yet. So, I decided to wait, "Later on, I found out that my dad had died in the place of the King. He was loyal to the guy even to his death. He left me behind to save his friend and that friend didn't even have the decency to say sorry!" She was now full on crying so, I went and found some tissues with Becky's guidance of course.

When I returned and gave her some tissues she then continued speaking, "Till this day, I don't know which is worse having been told that my father was dead or watching my mother die piece by piece each day without him, until all that was left was a shell of the woman who once loved me more than life itself."

The rest of the evening, I had sat with Rebecca and she just shared all her horrible experiences in life with me. Let me just say that life had not been kind to her at all. I guess it explained why she was different. Life had made her grow up much faster than necessary. That is why Rebecca was a strong woman. Now I could only look at her in admiration for not giving up and making it on her own.

I was glad I had met Rebecca. I could be myself around her and that was something I haven't been able to be in a long time. Being with Rebecca, I was not the prince-soon-to-be-king but just me. The guy who liked art and really wanted to travel. The one I had hidden away because I had a tittle to uphold.

I found it much easier to speak to Rebecca about my issues and it felt nice. She was an amazing friend. I wasn't planning on losing her, but if she found out about who I really was, then there was a great chance I would. I had to figure this out. Besides, I am not my father. We would be fine. I also know that my father wouldn't have just left her family like that. But now that he was dead there was no way of me finding out why he did.

XXXXXX

AN

I hope you liked this chapter if so, hit the vote button before you move on.

Question: what is your honest opinion of Dimitri so far? 

Let me know in the comments

Thanks for reading