Chosen mate (42)

AN: Please vote for this chapter if you have time

Dimitri

During the whole funeral, I had felt on edge and could not fathom why. I was sitting right in front so I could not look back at all. Yet the feeling would not go away. I did not think I was in danger at all. However, I could also not place what this odd feeling actually was.

My mind had started going forth with hundreds of different reasons as to why I felt uncomfortable throughout the funeral. I was so engrossed in that task that I did not hear when the priest called for me to come say a few words. That was when I realized that none of my assumptions were right. When I was called up to speak, I finally noticed it. Or should I say noticed her. I was so busy trying to find the piece of paper with my speech when I reached the front that I did not look to the crowd once on the podium. Once I found the sheet, I then cleared my throat and looked up at the crowed to start my speech. That was when I locked eyes with her.

My beloved mate, Destiny was seated in the second row. She was staring right back at me in something akin to shock. I could not really say that I was surprised that she was here. She did marry a lord. So, they would be invited to the funeral. Next to her sat her husband who had his arm on her thigh. Which funny enough she removed as soon I glanced at. I guess we were bound to meet up again. Somehow the fact that she was married did not hurt like I expected it would.

After the service ended, she immediately came to me requesting to speak with me privately. I reluctantly agreed to speak with her and excused myself from my mother's arm. As we stepped away I could literally feel Ellie's gaze bore holes into the back of my skull. This meant that I was going to get drilled on this encounter later on. I just wasn't sure how to tell Ellie this story. But that was tonight's worries.

What I did notice this time around as I stood next to my mate was that I no longer felt the pull. It was like we weren't each other's mates anymore. I guess the universe accepted that we didn't choose each other.

Destiny was still as beautiful. But she was no longer my favourite definition of the word beautiful. See, I now pictured beautiful as a girl with hair that went in all directions. I saw beautiful with big honey-brown eyes instead of the ocean blue eyes that were staring back at me right now. I pictured beautiful together with strong and feisty. I must say together, those three were one killer combination.

I wanted someone beautiful and it was no longer the girl staring at me. I wanted someone who was able to make me laugh and think about things. I wanted someone who questioned life and engaged my mind. Destiny was none of these things. Well, I never spent enough time with her to find out but I also didn't want to spend any more time with her to find out. The fact remained that I was no longer attracted to her.

This was such a relief. But it also meant that I was in deep trouble. I loved Rebecca. I did not just like her. That was the only explanation to why I was calm despite seeing my mate.

"I am so sorry," she started pulling me out my thoughts. Why could I never focus enough to listen to my mate?

I knew where this conversation was going and honestly, I had no time for it. Although I am grateful for her presence. It did after all lead me to realise that my feelings ran deeper than I had thought. So, I decided to not waste any of our time.

"What is it that you want?" I asked her.

At first, she was surprised at my directness, but then quickly masked it. "I did not know that you were the prince," She said.

After realizing that I was not going to say anything back to her, she went on, "Can we talk somewhere more private please?" she asked. I was about to say no, but when I saw the way she looked at me I decided that I could spare a few minutes of my time. So, I led her outside until we were all alone.

She kept fidgeting with her fingers instead of talking that I started growing inpatient, "Like you said before, I am a prince. So, speak faster will you. I do have things to do," I said with finality.

"See...I... I married Sir John because my father wanted me to. It was arranged long before I was even born... I... I didn't have a say in the matter. But you must know that I... I," she tried to continue but was somehow afraid to say it. I on the other hand was not in the mood for this. Besides, it was too late now. I was over her and very excited about this fact. Destiney did not love me. She might want me now, but this was simply because of the title I possessed.

"I know what you are going to say. So, don't bother my precious mate. I actually took your advice, you know. I fell in love with a human. Well, I later found out that she isn't human, but back then I thought she was. Anyways, like I said the last time we met, I do sincerely hope that you have a good life Destiny," I finished off and left before she could stop me. I honestly had nothing left to say to my mate. I didn't want her. I wanted someone else and I was done pretending that I didn't.

It was time I chose my own mate. And I knew exactly who I wanted now. 

XXXXX

AN

QOC: What are your thoughts on arranged marriages?

So, Destiny tells her story. What do you make of it? What do you think about Damien's decision on letting her go?

Let me know in the comments. And don't forget to vote.