2

Life isn't fair. That I'm sure of. I've been mopping around the whole week remembering what happened at my sister's birthday. Like how can I not? I was practically embarrassed in front of a lot of people. Okay maybe those people are my family but so what? Making me question myself. If I was at all normal.

I just came out of a meeting so I walk into my office and sit behind my desk. I pack up my things into my handbag and leave my office, locking my door. I get into my car when my phone rang. I look for it in my handbag and when I don't find it, I place my bag on my lap and start removing everything in it placing them on the passengers seat. I finally find my phone and see it's an unknown number. I pick it up, placing it against my ear,

"Hello good evening" I greeted and close my car door.

"Good evening. Can I speak to Kaima?" The person on the other line asks. It's a man. I scrunch up my brows in confusion as I begin to wonder who it is.

"Speaking" I reply and begin to busy myself by placing my things back into my bag.

"Ohhh. Kaima it's Arinze."

And I'm shocked.

I remember I didn't give him my number. Bending my head towards my shoulder and placing my phone between my shoulder and head, I keep packing up.

"Oh, okay. How are you?" I ask not knowing what exactly to say to him as I finally zip up my handbag and place it on the passengers seat.

What do you say to someone who your mum is matchmaking you with and you don't have a bit of attraction for that person? I really don't know.

"I'm fine. I know you didn't give me your number, but my mum gave it to me and I thought that since I already have it I might as well use it" I laugh a little then I nod.

Of course mummy will have a hand in this. She just wants me to get married.

"Errm I'm actually driving now. So let me call you when I get home okay?" I ask and he agrees before ending the call.

I know I lied. I haven't started driving yet but I have to talk to my mum first, to know what exactly her problem is. I take my earpiece, connect it to my phone and ears and dial my mum's line as I drive out of the compound. She picks after it rings for a while.

"Mummy good evening" I greet

"My dear how are you? You haven't even called since your sister's birthday. Has Arinze called you?" She asks. Of course she will ask.

"Mummy I called to tell you to please stop meddling in my life. I know you want me to get married but please stay out of it. Stop the meetings and giving out my number. Please mummy I don't like it." I put my key into the ignition and I try to listen to her as she starts shouting about how ungrateful I'm being and how I should not speak to my mother like that and how she's just helping me since I can't help myself.

I don't remember asking for her help for goodness sake. This woman no dey hear word (this woman doesn't hear).

"Mummy abeg ( please) don't interfere again. I don't like it" I replied with a tone of finality and end the call.

I finally drive into my apartment and park my car. I carry my handbag and leave my car, pressing the remote control to lock the car and head for the stairs. I pass by my neighbour who I wave at and keep going. I make it to my door, fishing out my keys from the side of my handbag, I open the door and walk in, tossing my keys inside the tray on my table and slumping on the sofa.

"Oh God I was supposed to call him back." I face palmed myself. "I'll just text him." I picked up my phone and just as I was about to text, he called and I laughed. I picked up