Chapter 27

"There were a few boxes left in the back, I'm not sure if it'll be enough" Annette said as she waddled out the back with a stack of boxes as she attempted to balance herself.

Bringing Juliet out of her thoughts about whether to call her parents or not she looked up and smiled at Annette.

"Thanks! you can set it towards the front," Juliet said as she looked back at her mother's contact and sighed as she closed her phone.

She'd call later when she wasn't so busy already.

"Alright! Is there anything else I can do?" Annette asked as she stood in front of Juliet with a soft smile.

"Actually... could you pack up all the old clothes on rack 4, we're going to be putting our new clothes this week," Juliet said as she pointed to the box.

Annette nodded as she went and began doing the work.

Juliet sighed frustratedly as she attempted to maneuver with the cash register, How was she supposed to add these new clothes.

The only one here who knew how to work this damn cash register was Cassie who was enjoying herself with her boyfriend of one month, Leonardo. 

Sighing she picked up her phone and looked at the contact again as she scrolled past and found Cassies.

Pressing it she held the phone up to her ear as she waited, it rang once, twice, thrice, no answer.

Rolling her eyes she shook the cash register one more time for good measure and walked away to busy herself with more work.

Because that seemed to be the only thing that kept her from thinking about her very messed-up reality she'd have to return to at the end of the day.

She eyed her phone again wondering what she really wanted to do. I mean she'd never have all the things she wanted to go the way she wanted.

Her love life was upside down, her relationship with her parents was 6 feet under, and her business was going out of business.

Her best friend was out of town, her husband was currently in love with another woman and she could barely put herself together in the morning.

Nothing seemed to be going right for her.

Huffing back her pain and unsureness she grabbed her phone and walked out of the store as she without thinking, pressed her mother's contact.

It rang once and then again and then it stopped, silence consumed both parties unsure of what to say.

Finally, after a minute or two, Juliet choked up a few words

"Hey, mom..." She said 

"Juliet..." Her mother's voice trailed off, 

She sounded... sad. Nicholas wasn't lying, after all, it was surprising, to be frank. Her mother and Juliet had gone days without talking in the past and her mother expressed no emotion about it.

Juliet wasn't exactly sure what to start out with considering all the things that needed to be said.

So, she started out with an easier way to go about it.

"I'm sorry," she said anxiously waiting for a response, in all honesty, she wasn't that sorry, maybe a little bit after her lash out she felt better.

As if she didn't have to put up a front in front of her parents.

or come up with excuses as to why they treated her the way they did. 

"No, I'm sorry Jules it was my fault for acting- that way." There was hesitation laced in her mother's voice.

Juliet felt relieved that this was over, ignoring, and guilt.

And then apart of her hated how easy it was to pick up the phone and deal with her problems rather than putting it aside.

"Mom I-" She stopped, she couldn't fathom what to say to her. Not even an 'it's alright' her mind had gone completely blank.

"Let's meet for dinner- tomorrow night?" Juliet abruptly said, she wasn't sure where it came from but she did know that if there was anything to be said between them it had to be in person.

"Yeah, okay- sure honey...?" Her mother sounded confused, of course. It was the most likely response.

Juliet said a fast goodbye and hit the end call button and pressed her lips together.

***

Juliets POV

Setting my keys down softly on the coffee table I watched Nicholas pour another cup of bourbon, he seemed to be especially out of it.

He hadn't even noticed I was here.

He raised the glass to his lips as he looked up making aware of my presence.

"Juliet" He furrowed his eyebrows as he set his glass down and walked over, he was acting off. That was definite.

He placed his hands on both my shoulders as he took a deep breath, considering my height against his I looked up at him and replicated the confused look.

"Are you...? Are you okay Nicholas?" I asked worried, he brought his eyes back to me, and hurt filled them,

"Shes back Juliet," He whispered as he grasped my face.

"Who Nick? What are you talking about?" I asked as I placed my hands over his.

"Vivian! Her she- she's back Juliet" My hands dropped to my side, I wasn't sure what to say, the women he was still in love with was back.

The one-woman stopping us from feeling.

I watched him for a moment.

"Okay, Nicholas just- just relax we'll figure this out okay?" I said I could hear his heart beating out his chest.

Almost afraid he'd have a heart attack.

He let go of my face as he walked over to where he left his bourbon and swollen it down, he was drunk. 

Rushing over I grabbed the bottle away from him as I poured it all in the sink, knowing Nicholas he'd find his way to that bourbon if I hadn't poured it out.

"Nicholas you're drunk! Here-" I grabbed a glass as I turned on the faucet and filled the glass up.

Handing it to him he looked confused, and hurt, almost even sad.

"It's going to be fine Nicholas we'll figure it out and it'll be okay, just drink the water and we'll deal with this all tomorrow, Its late Nicholas" I whispered caressing his face as he drank the water.

He placed his hand on the counter steadying himself as he took a deep breath.

"Okay," He whispered.

***