Chapter 57

Chapter 57- Edward's POV

The first couple of hours at the new working place went by very smoothly. The school wasn't shabby, it had a nice touch to it actually, and the art room was spacious. The principal and the other teachers all seemed nice and made me feel welcome, and the students weren't bad. At least there were no stalkers around here. 

A fresh start here was going to be great. And it was better having to start over somewhere new than being fired. 

During my first free lesson, I found myself on my own, for the very first time. I wished I could speak to Ella but that wasn't possible right now. As if on cue, my phone beeped. I frowned. I hadn't been expecting anyone to text me anytime soon. Ella was still without a phone, and, as far as I knew, John had stopped texting me with threats. I reached for my phone, thinking how I should get a new one for Ella or else try to retrieve her old one from John's cottage. I glanced at the screen and frowned for the second time. Beth. 

Why would Beth be texting me? 

I opened the message and read it. It said, Hey, Edward, I hope you're doing well at your new job. Do you have any free time when I could meet you next to the school anytime today? I have something to give you which you might find useful. 

I sighed and glanced at the clock on the wall. It was 11.45am. I had break until 12.45. I contemplated on whether to reply to her at all as I thought about what she might want to give me. Should I even trust her or not? 

I took a deep breath and typed out a reply quickly, I'm free now. Meet me outside the school? I didn't have much to lose, anyway. I wondered how she knew where I worked. I stood up from my seat and put on my leather jacket. My phone beeped once again and I looked at it. Beth had said, Ok, see you in 5. 

 I shut the door behind me and locked it before proceeding down the steep flight of stairs. I wondered if I was actually allowed to leave the school during school hours. All of the system seemed to be a bit different around here. It was going to be a lot different here, I thought as I exited the gates. There was nobody outside. I leaned against the wall and waited. 

Beth showed up a couple of minutes later in her car. I waved at her as she parked, and looked at her curiously as she got out of the car. She smiled at me. 

"Sorry for this," she said. 

I shrugged. "It's okay," I replied, then added, "How did you know where I work, anyway?"

Beth smiled once again. "When you hang out with the person who knows everything about everyone, you start becoming like them." 

I looked at her confused, then chuckled. "What?" I asked.

She shook her head and handed me a USB stick which she had been holding in her hand, but I had not noticed before. "Watch this. You'll know what I meant after you do. Watch the video before listening to the voice message. It's the best I could do after everything that happened." She shot me an almost apologetic smile, and did not leave me time to ask her any questions at all. She scuttled off into her car and started driving off, leaving me glancing at the smoke her car left behind. I frowned in confusion and put the USB stick in my pocket before entering the school grounds again. 

Curiosity got the better of me as soon as I arrived in my classroom. I assumed that nobody would enter my room at this time since barely anyone knew me yet, so I immediately stuck the USB into the computer. A folder popped up with a footage and a video clip, and a note. I decided to open the note first. It said, 

Ed,

while I was helping John out, I decided to help myself and you as well. So I put cameras in his cottage and tracked his phone, so that everytime it was on, it reported back to me. So, it saves a lot of explaining from mine- and his- behalf. Take care.