Chapter 28

Chapter 28- Ella's POV

"Life sucks," I said, resting my head on John's shoulder. He put his arm around me.

"I know, I'm sorry," he said. I shrugged his arm off of me and sipped my cappuccino in silence. The lack of physical contact did not feel strange at all. It felt better when his arm wasn't around me. I lifted my head and broke away all physical contact, figuring that I had probably given him the wrong idea when I rested my head on his shoulder.

I know what you must be thinking, but no, it's not like that. I'm not seeing John now that Edward has broken up with me. I'm sure that John wants to, but I don't. What happened was his fault, and it's Edward I want to be with. Only three days had passed since my birthday, also known as the day that Edward found out about John... and broke up with me. I hadn't spoken to him yet, he'd ignored my calls and messages, and when I saw him this morning in the corridor, he acted like he didn't know me. I was dreading our lesson the next day.

"I really am sorry, Ella," John said.

We were sitting in a cafe', which was situated a couple of minutes away from school. We both had a free lesson and John had asked me to join him for a coffee so that we could be able to talk it all out. Of course, I knew that he probably asked me to go with him so that he could spend more time with me, but at this point I'd decided not to care anymore. Unless, of course, someone saw me with him. Then being out with him, so close to school premises, would be a problem.

I rolled my eyes. "I know you are," I said to him.

John shook his head. "This has gotten way out of hand," he mumbled.

I chuckled with sarcasm. "Yeah, like you're the one who's mostly in trouble."

"What's that supposed to mean? I could get arrested!"

"Arrested for what? It's not like we did anything!" I said, trying to push away the images that were forming in my head right now. Ugh, awkward.

"I know, I know," John chuckled as he glanced at me. "But it still is illegal you know. I may not be your teacher but I sure as heck do teach at your school. Edward and Malcolm know what happened and they're probably so angry that they could-"

I interrupted him. "My brother is not gonna press charges.."

"It's not just your brother Ella, remember? The person sending those messages to Edward could very well start sending them to me now!" John's eyes locked with mine and although I could see him tense up, there wasn't any fear in them. I looked away, feeling uncomfortable.

"Right." I'd totally forgotten about the person sending the photos and messages, not just to Edward, but to my brother as well. Malcolm had told me all about it on Saturday evening, but couldn't show me what the messages said, because he'd forgotten them in Edward's classroom while showing them to him. Very efficient.

I wondered what Edward thought about all of this...

"Don't worry, I haven't received anything... yet," John said after he'd sipped the last of his drink. I did the same and looked at my watch. Quarter to twelve. I grabbed my bag and stood to leave. John copied my actions, leaving a couple of coins on the table as tips. I started walking towards his car, with him following closely behind.

"Do you know how many days Edward and I were in a relationship for?" I asked him as he unlocked the doors. He looked up and smirked.

"I don't know, like a month?"

"Three weeks," I said, glaring at him. He grinned.

"Yeah, I figured," he said, opening the car door for me. He went to his side and opened it.