24

Sunghoon

Today is the day I am now finally graduating high school. The thing is, I am really looking forward to this day where me and Jay will march on stage together and then Jungwon will join us later on because he's last name starts with "Y". I should be happy now right? But now, I feel happy but it's not complete anymore. I never thought I would be graduating alone. First, I thought Sunoo will be with us but he isn't now. Second, Jay really tried hard to not make me drop out because he wants us to graduate together but now he isn't here either. Lastly, Jungwon. That fluff ball who always tutors me and cheers me up to make us three march on stage together is also not with me right now. Apart from my parents and Jake, I am alone. The sad part is, Jay is suppose to deliver his speech, not only as the CSC president but also the year's valedictorian. I witness how he wrote his speech even at freshmen year when he was given the position of president. Now, he's not here to make the speech.

Last night before this supposed big day, he called me. Jungwon is still unconscious. He said he couldn't make it. I told him, he is supposed to deliver his speech but he just gave me a tearful smile. Apparently, not only is Jungwon unconscious, he's in a coma.

Flashback

"Hey .. How are you?" I asked and he just sighed. I can tell he's been awake for hours.

"I'm not doing well Sunghoon. . Jungwon.  . he's now in a state of coma . . . I'm scared"

He broke out into sobs making my urge to fly to the States and hug him.

"I'm sorry . . I don't know what to say. ."

He shook his head and smiled again.

"I'm sorry, tomorrow is your big day. . I'm proud you're graduating. . I think I ruined the mood here"

I shook my head this time.

"No you didn't. . although I wish you'd be here with us .  . I know you must be with him. I . .I can manage myself. . Jake and I and mom already plan to come and visit you there. . "

"Thanks Sunghoon. . "

"How about your speech by the way? I know I shouldn't be speaking about it but . . -"

"I want you to deliver it for me. . ."

I froze as I look at him and he just smiled at me.

"No . . that's your speech not mine. .that's your stage. . "

"I know . . I am hurt that I couldn't say my speech which I plan for years but . . I'm scared. . what if I leave Jungwon and when I came back . . I ..  I didn't .. He . . he's gone? I will go crazy Sunghoon. . "

"Well we can face time you or you make a video and we present it in front-"

"Sunghoon, I don't think I am in the right state of mind to do it . . . just"

End

I understand him tho. . I will do the same if I'm in his place.

I held the paper that contains the speech as I inhaled. Jake peeked inside with a smile gesturing me to go already.

Into the car I go as my parents drive us to school.

"Hey . . Pup . . could you. . could you face time Jay when I deliver the speech later?"

Confused, Jake still nodded before playing with my fingers. I found out he likes to do it to either make himself sleepy or to ease his nerves. And this time, he's doing it to ease my nerves.