Act I

My eyes fluttered open slightly as the warm and dry LA summer sun streaked through my flannel curtains and onto my skin. I could feel the rays heat beaming onto my face and skin. I rolled from my back and onto my stomach with the hopes of getting a few more minutes of rest but I was wrong. A sudden force hit me out of nowhere.
"Wake up Charlie!" called the familiar voice of my close friend Mia. I jerked the covers from around my waist up and over my head to block out the noise from her consistent badgering as she climbed onto the bed and began shaking me aggressively.
"Come on Charlie we're going to be late." Mia whined lightly as I rolled onto my stomach.
"Get Up Val!" She huffed and induced the use of my middle name like she always did when she was upset. Suddenly I felt a sharp sting as she smacked the back of my thigh.
"Would you stop!" I flung up and tossed a pillow at her face."
"No because you promised me that you would start coming in more since Louisa left."
"Why did she have to leave?" I groaned to my before
ripping the sheets off and to the side with a huff. Louisa bailed out weeks ago and completely left town. This place wasn't for everybody.
"Yes, and I appreciate you coming and aiding me during this crisis." She hovered over my face as she spoke her brown eyes twinkling with warmth as they always did. She had such an inviting energy. I always appreciated that just not this early in the morning.
"Come on now the extra pay isn't so bad." She poked my nose with her index finger smiling bright.

"I work TWO other jobs Mia, both of which pay me almost double what this diner job does."
I got out or bee reluctantly and headed over to the closest.
"True, but you don't to get to work with your best friend everyday, now get your ass downstairs before I yank you out of the house in your pajamas.
I stuck my tongue out her and she reciprocated.
"Come on and hurry up then, I already made breakfast to go."
"Fine. I'll be down in a minute." I huffed as she left the small room and went downstairs. I stretched my arms out as I gazed about the small room for a moment, before deciding what to wear.

I didn't need to stay her, I had my own place to stay it was above the shop I worked in but since Mia was like my sister, I often spent the nights in her room on the spare bed. Her and her brother Dominic both were the siblings I never had but always wanted. Being an only child was dull growing up.
As I gazed around the room and through the small closet of things I kept over here, I decided a ribbed olive green tank, dark blue jeans and knee high black boots. It was good enough. I put in a pair of simple stud earrings and a few metal rings before heading out the door.
I had three jobs in the small town that I resided in. Mickeys was the auto shop in town where people ordered large quantities of parts. It was right across from Harrys which was the main auto shop and had a small parts collection. Mickeys was also next to Toretto's a diner/grocery store that Mia worked at and partially owned. The bar I worked at was called Blue Moon and it was on the outer part of town near where a lot of the street races occurred.
I worked at Mickeys from around 8am to noon. Then work the bar shift from 9pm to 1am. That was my normal schedule with Mia being short handed after one of the waitresses bailed I've had to rearrange my schedule but I didn't mind because I do enjoy spending time with her and I owe her and Dom a debt.
Her and her brother, Dominic, embraced me when no one else did. They made me feel wanted like no one has before. The whole team did really. I'd never seen such loyalty and bond in anybody before meeting them. That's why I chose to stay. I couldn't go back to my old life and job not after I found home here. Not after I found family.

My new work schedule was to work 7 to 11 at the diner, 11 to 3 at Mickeys then work my regular 9 to 1 at the bar. All of it combined brought in a decent pay and Mickey doesn't charge me rent for staying above the store so I do decent. In between all my shifts, I help out Dom and the team with car repairs and upgrades over at the garage.
That was the thing here. Street racing. The speed, the adrenaline and pure rush of it all. Paid a good penny too you; when you won of course. I never thought I'd be into it, granted I did always have a things for cars, but racing was new to me. That was something else Dom and Mia showed me, how to really drive and how to win.
________________________________
"It's about time." Mia huffed while crossing her arms over her chest as I descended the stairs.
I flipped her off while smiling brightly as we headed out the front door of the house.
"That was rude." She mumbled while locking the door behind us. She tossed me a paper bag and I caught it mid air
"Like I care." I smirked lightly before pulling out the bagel she prepared for us.
"Okay you have been spending way too much time around Letty recently."
The comment made me chuckle a bit before a bright smile emerged on my lips.
"No, I've spending to much time with YOUR brother." I pointed at her when emphasizing the word your.
She chuckled to herself while shaking her head.
"And his meat head friends." I rolled my eyes before turning to look at the street.
"What did Vince do to you this time?" She questioned with a knowing look.
"What does he always do to us?"
She rolled her eyes and unlocked the door of her her blue Acura.
Vince was Dominics best friend in childhood but annoyed the crap out of me.
He was a wannabe Alpha that tried his best to make sly advances at either Mia or myself. Five years I've been here and he hasn't gotten a shot and it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever consider going out with him or any other douche bag in this town. Everyone here wanted either a fast bang or buck. So as a personal vow to myself ; I'm off limits. That and Dom would most likely murder anyone that ever tried anything with me or Mia. Friend or not people knew not to mess with us without experiencing serious consequences.

Dom was protective to say the least. Generally, when it came to his team which was him family. The protective instinct was heightened when it came to Mia, myself and Letty. Letty was his girlfriend and I admired her greatly for the confidence and mouth that she had. Dom was protective of her but not overly otherwise she'd give him an ear full. The same thing for Mia. He was always cautious and careful with her but knew she was smart. With me, things always seemed to be a bit different though and I don't think anyone's ever noticed. Maybes it's certain things him and I experienced in the past but for some reason Dom always acted more possessive of me than protective. At least that was my opinion on the case but maybe I'm just overthinking things.
________________________________
Hello and Welcome to my new fanfiction. I hope everyone enjoys this story please like and comment if you do!
I'm excited to write this as two of my other stories are on a temporary pause as I regroup some ideas for their remaining chapters. Updates and progress will occur ASAP.
Hearing feedback really helps me stay motivated 🤍🖤