Chapter 43- Bring It On

The next day I wake up pissed, "Does he think he is my father? Acting like I'm some kind of fool. Its called empathy. Let him look it up!"

   "Your anger is seriously misplaced," Patricia says and I throw her a look. “What I mean to say is he probably exploded because he cares. There is also the fact that you were worrying about another guy."

   "I really don't need your opinion right now," I snap.

   "Sorry o," she replies.

   I spend the rest of the day in my room. Patricia was right about one thing, I have to be careful till I finish my exams. But of course no matter what I try, my life must still suck. I return to my room after dinner to get my books so I can go to the library and read but I cant find them anywhere. I'm looking through my bag again when Patricia and Emmanuella walk in.

   "Whats wrong?" Emmanuella asks.

  "I can't find my books. I left them on the shelf last night but I don't know where they are now," I turn my bag upside down, pouring the contents on my bed but they aren't there. I sit on the bed and cover my face in frustration when I suddenly perk up. I start searching through the scattered books on my bed again, "Oh God I cant find Pelumi's jotter. I put it in my bag I'm sure of it."

   "I'm sure we are all thinking of the same thing and she is just a few rooms away," Patricia says.

   "We cant judge so quickly, " Emmanuella says and Patricia gives her a look, "Even if she threatened her last night."

   A knock on the door stops Patricia's reply. Its the Miss Florence at the door with a bucket in her hand. She stretches the bucket towards me, "What is this?"

   I look into the bucket and almost cry. Its my books, soaked in water. Floating at the top is my notebook with my name on full display, even the ones I hadn't realized were missing are in the bucket. My eyes cloud over and I have to blink rapidly to keep the tears at bay.

   "Miracle!" She snaps when I don't give her a reply, "What is this?"

   Emmanuella's gasp behind me brings me back to my senses, "I dont know ma. I was just looking for those books."

   She gives me a hard look before replying, "Patricia, get the house prefect and tell her to call a meeting in the common room now. Miracle come with me," She turns around and walks away. I slowly follow her.

   Within minutes, the common room is packed full of curious girls. Most of them throwing me, the house mistress, and the bucket questioning looks. I don't know where Amelia is and I don't want to know because I'm sure she has a vicious smile waiting for me. Patricia and Emmanuella are at the front of the crowd.

   Miss Florence calls for silence. "This school has a strict no bullying policy, but for some reason one of you or some of you feel you can get away with anything. I will ask this only once. Who soaked Miracle Adichie's books in this bucket? Come forward now!" The crowd starts murmuring but no one comes forward.

   "If that is how it is going to be then you will all pay for this crime. You are all going to pay 1000 naira each to the house prefect for the replacement of Miracles books."

   The announcement is met with immediate protest and Miss Florence angrily calls for silence, "If you can do something as terrible as this, paying a small fee of 1000 naira is a small punishment. You are dismissed."

   Patricia and Emmanuella walk up to me as everyone disperses, "That witch was just smiling," Patricia says frowning.

   I rub my forehead, not saying anything. What am I supposed to say?