Chapter 3-Get Together

Come Friday I wake up in a grumpy mood. Don't know why I can't stay at home, far away from my ass kissing step family.

Amelia and her mother prepare for the party while I sulk in my room till the last minute, throw on the dress I bought at Lagos and the flats before rushing out to join them.

The party venue is at their house. A huge duplex with high fences and an equally high gate, barbed wires with the warning-high voltage wires on it. So a typical rich man's house nothing new.

Already there is an array of fancy cars parked in front of the house which would mean we are late or as Amelia said fashionably late. We get down and head towards the house. Inside the compound looks like a picturesque park with properly trimmed grass, flowers, trees and even a fountain at the center of it all with the duplex all the way at the back. Mr Adetoye definitely did not spare any expenses when building the house.

The event is being held outside in the picturesque park with people milling around, laughing and enjoying the scenery.

"Behave and don't talk to much", stepmother says before walking into the crowd, few minutes later two girls jump on Amelia, squealing as they hug each other and few seconds after that I'm standing alone in a crowd of unknown people feeling very awkward. I walk towards the buffet table with an assortment of snacks on it but no jollof rice.

Who hosts a party without jollof rice?! There is even salad in one dish and chicken in another but no jollof rice. Losing interest in the snacks I move to the big blue drum where the drinks are kept to get myself one. But the drum is already half empty which would mean I would have to bend down to get a drink thereby risking flashing everyone here my back thighs. I stand in front of the drum regretting not being born with telekenises until a hand reaches into the drum, retrieves a bottle of fanta and presents it to me. Tracing the hand I come face to face with a triumphant looking guy. He pushes the bottle towards me like a silent way of asking me to take it.

"Thank you", I mumble, taking the bottle from him.

"No problem", he smile gets wider, "I was specifically put on this earth to help beautiful damsels like you in distress", he stretches his hand toward me,"consider me your personal saviour beautiful".

Taking his hand I humour him, "how can you be my saviour when you don't even know me".

"That's an easy fix. You see all you have to do is input your number and name on my phone and just like that I'll be at your beck and call", he reaches into his pocket, retrieves his phone and stretches it to me.

"My beck and call right", I take the phone from him, "If I ask you to call me tonight, would you?", I ask as I input my stepmother's number.

"Definitely, anything for you beautiful but you haven't told me your name".

"It's stephanie", I tell him as I hand him his phone. Stephanie happens to be my stepmother's name.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful girl", he smiles as he pockets his phone.

Let's see if you'll still think of me like that after tonight.

"Whats your name", I ask.

"Richard!!!", a voice yells behind me, "we've been looking for you", I turn to see two girls and a guy walking towards us, one of the girls ahead of the other two who sluggishly follow her until they reach us.

"Emmanuel and Patricia have started again", she turns to glare at the boy and girl who are making efforts to keep space between themselves.

"And?", Richard frowns at the girl, "let them solve their problems like mature adults and leave me alone".

"Are you calling me immature", Patricia suddenly asks, putting her hand on her chest while squaring her shoulders for a fight.

Richard sighs tiredly before pointing at Patricia but looking at Emmanuel,"fix your wahala", he says and Patricia looks just about ready to fire back her own insult when Emmanuel steps in scowling.

"You two behave before you embarrass yourself", he looks pointedly at me.

"Meet my new friend", Richard says smiling,"I would introduce you guys to her but I don't want you girls to corrupt her with your anti-richard propaganda".

As if mocking him the other girl turns to me, "hi, I'm Emmanuella and that is my brother Emmanuel and my friend Patricia", she gestures to the boy and girl respectively.

"Your presence is making me uncomfortable", Patricia says scowling at me.

Na me cause your problem?!

I almost say when Emmanuel speaks up.

"Don't transfer aggression on someone you don't know".

My brother help me tell her!!!

"So you want to support her right? Next you'll ask for her number and forget about me!", she turns to him, pushing him at his chest.

"I'm leaving", I mumble quietly as I walk away. Richard and Emmanuella are to preoccupied with stopping a possible fight to notice me leave.

Shaking my head at the drama I just witnessed I don't notice Mrs Adetoye until she is right in front of me.

"Miracle my dear. How are you?", she hugs me leaving her hands on my shoulders.

"Fine ma", I reply and notice my stepmother beside her, smiling from ear to ear.

"You see I wanted to talk to you about what I proposed the other day", she pauses and scans my face for a reaction,"have you decided yet?"

"Its.....I.....", stepmother glares at me.

She told me to say yes she didn't tell me how to say it.

"You don't want to go", her smile falls.

"No, I want to go".

"Really?"

"Yes ma", I reply and she squeals and hugs me again.

"That is good news, very good news. You see I've already gotten you admission into the school. You'll love it there and you can make new friends and spend more time with Amelia", I offer her a tight smile as she rambles on, "I would have loved to introduce you to my son Tobi but he is visiting his grandparents. He is going to SS3 this new session and I'm sure he and Amelia will be able to help you fit in".

She finally stops talking and looks at me like not meeting her son is a complete disaster, "don't worry you'll meet him one way or the other".

She then proceeds to loop her arm through mine and take me everywhere with her, introducing me to her guests while stepmother follows behind us, her smile never wavering. Most of the guest recognise my father's name and greet me warmly, some-mostly the women-offer me hugs and exclaim on how much I've grown.

By the time the sun begins to set the guest start leaving and after bidding Mrs Adetoye goodbye so do we. We all get into the car while Amelia whines about Tobi not being present at the party until her mother tells her to shut it.

Closing my eyes I let the warm feeling Mrs Adetoye's smothering had given me flood me.