Chapter 33- Stay Away From Me

Needless to say I’ve been avoiding Tobi, and after receiving a proper scolding from me the girls agreed never to try and play cupid with Tobi and I.

   Its Friday, our final day here. We are currently in the church helping Mr. Obi set up for the service Mr. Iyare will be holding this evening as a way of ending the charity program. On Wednesday we had a massive cookout for the few homeless people the church housed, then on Thursday we finished the stalls. I just helped them carry the woods since I couldn’t handle any of the tools.

   “What do you think about this picture?” Richard pushes his phone directly at my face, “Is it obvious that I was aware you were taking it?”

   “It’s a nice picture,” I say tiredly. I had taken a seat in a quiet corner to rest but of course this pain in my ass cannot respect that.

   “The girls are loving philanthropic Richard and I can’t let my followers down. Are you sure its fine?”

   I stare him down and he quietly leaves. He has been posting pictures of our work since day one on Instagram and for some reason a shirtless Richard performing a kind act got his followers riled up. Now I understand why he was so eager to join the carpenters on Tuesday. Diva. Richards’s Instagram popularity won’t have bothered me if I wasn’t his designated photographer and consultant on whether this picture highlights his good side, or if the lighting in that picture is perfect.

   I spot Tobi walking towards me and quickly get up and walk away. He has been really persistent these days. I join the girls who are bent over a phone.

   “What are you doing?” I take a peek at the phone.

   “Chatting with one of Richard’s fan girls,” Emmanuella says casually.

   “The girl is brainless. You should see the way she is praising Richard,” Patricia adds.

   Sounds interesting. I take a seat as they fill me in.

   “I simply commented on the fact that Richard’s chest isn’t that amazing. And the girl came charging into my DM in defence of poor Richard’s honour,” Emmanuella says rolling her eyes.

   “I didn’t know he had such loyal followers,” I say already laughing.

   “Majority of them are air heads. I’ve been trying to educate this girl on the dangers of crushing on Richard but I think I’ve found someone dumber than Richard. It’s only fitting that she would be one of his followers,” Emmanuella makes a disgusted face.

   “And he really isn’t that fine. It’s the fact that he is fair and his mediocre abs which he floods his Instagram with that has girls tripping. If only Emmanuel would take an interest in personal fitness I’m sure he would surpass Richard,” Patricia says.

   “Abi! My brother is finer than Richard, even Tobi is finer than him. Imagine they both had fit bodies, would anyone know who Richard is?”

   Wow, talk about haters.

   “But alas the heart wants what it wants, right?” I say, smiling when they both give me sour looks.

   “The heart is stupid. It’s best to always use your brain,” Emmanuella says sniffing. Fortunately I’m saved from a lecture on reasons why the brain is better than the heart when Mr. Iyare arrives.

   We head back to the hotel to rest and change for the evening service. Patricia lends me one of her gown since I don’t have any and we leave for the church by 5.

   “You look nice,” Tobi says as I’m about to get into the bus. Who is this one? I always look nice.

   I take the middle seat and Tobi sits right next to me. Like really close kind of next to me, like his shoulder touching my shoulder kind of next.