Chapter 31- Daddy Patricia

Patricia and I have dinner with her dad or Mr. Iyare as she asked me to call him, or daddy Patricia as he asked me to call him. The way Patricia looked at me I think I’ll stick with Mr. Iyare.

   “So Miracle what department are you?” Mr. Iyare asks while we are eating.

   “Science.”

   “Niiice. Then you should know the importance of scientist in our society. I’m a fellow scientist myself, studied microbiology.”

   “And ended up becoming a pastor,” Patricia interrupts him.

   “Only because God called me!” he defends before turning to me, “Patricia and I are in this ongoing debate on whether science is better than art. She is just being unnecessarily stubborn and doesn’t want to accept that science is so much better,” he gives me a wide smile.

   “Daddy let’s not get into an argument in front of the guest,” Patricia chides him.

   “Fine, fine. I won’t try to win your friend over to my side,” he leans towards me and stage whispers, “Some other time.”

   Patricia shakes her head and I almost ask who the parent and child really is.

   “So are you excited for tomorrow?”

   “Yes sir. I’ve never tried anything remotely philanthropic before.”

   “You have a good heart. My daughter always chooses the best people as friends,” he smiles at her and Patricia makes a face, “Though I was thinking, rather than have just the two of you with me I could invite your other friends and you can all enjoy the feeling of giving together.”

   “Daddy what did you do?”

   “Remember how nice it was when Emmanuella and her brother volunteered and you all ended up bonding. She has been your friend ever since. Why not recreate that but with a bigger group of people.”

   “Daddy did you…”

   “I called Emmanuella and invited them, then I extended the invite to Emmanuel’s friends. You are always complaining about how you don’t like the kind of friends Emmanuel keeps so this will be a perfect time for me to meet and access them.”

   “Daddyyyyyy why!” Patricia whines.

   “If you want me to let you date Emmanuel then I have to be sure of everything, including the kind of friends he keeps.”

   Wait, what?! My eyes widen and I look at Patricia but she ignores me.

   “Daddy it’s not fair.”

   “Let me decide what is fair and unfair. They will all be arriving tomorrow. You guys can treat it like a camping trip and if there is no shenanigans I might even let you have a little party at the end of the trip.”

   First of, who uses the word shenanigans. Second, did I walk into some kinda American sit com. Party?     Boyfriend?

   Patricia grumbles but keeps quiet and with that we finish dinner in silence.

   After dinner daddy Patricia…..I mean Mr. Iyare retires to his room and Patricia and I head to her room. She had insisted I sleep with her in the same room.

   “Besides my room is the biggest in the house and I’m too lazy to clean up the guest room,” that was her closing argument.

   I quickly take my bath and change into a singlet and short, “Damn, how could Tobi resist all this,” Patricia says smiling.