first day in tokyo!! // 55

Toshiko... Toshiko...

I groaned. Slowly being pulled out of my sleep, or rather shaken out of my sleep.

"Toshiko, wake up. We have to leave for the school soon." Yachi spoke softly as she tried coaxing me out of my dreams. Hearing her say that made me realize what day it was. I sat up straight in an instant and smiled at her with my hair a mess.

"We're going to Tokyo today!"
.

.

.

It was a still and somber morning, the sun hadn't even risen over the horizon by the time we arrived at the school to meet the boys and ride the bus to Tokyo. I was practically buzzing with excitement! I wondered how Shouyou was feeling about the whole thing.

As I adjusted the strap to on my duffel bag walking up to the bus, the other girls and I were greeted by the others. And I saw Shouyou! I almost ran up to him to tell him all about my week and everything that's happened since we last spoke... like my chance encounter with Ushiwaka!! But then I remembered my promise.

'Not until you and Tobio make up, your team needs you both!'

Ugh... stupid boys...

He caught my gaze, our contact felt kinda sad. But we feigned a smile and waved at each other nonetheless. I found myself wishing most of them a good morning, but Kageyama wouldn't even look at me. Geez. Hopefully this wasn't going to be an awkward bus ride...
.

.

.
"Ssshhh— pffthaha— Noya keep it down!" I whispered between laughter. "Some of the others are asleep!" Maybe sitting with Tanaka and Yuu was a bad idea, but our morning was a lot more fun than everyone else's. Between our rowdy conversations my eyes would occasionally wander to the back of Tsukishima's head, him drowning out the world with his headphones as usual.

And suddenly I got the urge to talk to him. I think it was time to figure out what his deal was.

'Maybe I'll try talking to him later after camp.'
.

.

.
"Haha Toshiko! What is that?"

"Eh?!" I bellowed. Gripping the strap to my bag tightly. "What do you mean, Ennoshita?!"

"You're practically vibrating!" He and the other second years laughed hysterically, causing me embarrassment.

I tripped over my words trying to defend myself. "Well—! I'm just excited is all! This is my first big camp I've ever been to! Can you blame me?! We're in Tokyo after all!"

Coach Ukai butted in, "With all the strings we pulled to get you here, I would certainly hope you'd be excited. Speaking of which, the other coaches would like to meet you, come with Takeda and I before going into the gym to join the boys."

"Oh okay... see you guys inside!"

As I walked with my teachers I saw the small gathering of coaches outside a different set of doors leading into the gym. They waved at us as we approached.

"So this is the little superstar we got to hear all about! Welcome to Tokyo!" A shorter man smiled kindly at me and chuckled, I recognized him from the first practice match with Nekoma.

"Thank you, Coach Nekomata!" I exclaimed happily, bowing his way. "Thank you all for letting me join. I won't waste this opportunity!"

They all smiled and laughed along to my eager attitude. Nekomata ruffled my hair, "I certainly hope our boys don't waste the opportunity either. From what I hear you bring in quite the competition. Maybe you'll help keep Kenma motivated!"