jack jousts the beanstalk // 11

It was the last day of golden week before the game against Nekoma, which most of the boys were all looking forward to. Something about a rekindling rivalry with the school. All I knew was that I couldn't play - obviously - but I was going to go watch them. The past week I worked hard and noticed my skills impressively progress. Training with the boys helped me to be stronger, faster, and a little more nimble to get a hand on any crazy ball going my way. I even noticed my jump improved ever so slightly because they have to play with a higher net than girls.

Ukai had everyone gathered around and was talking about the progress he'd seen from the camp. "So! Last day of training camp! I've seen many good things and even better improvements." He began, with a hint of pride in his body language. Then he gestured to me with a smirk. "Especially from our little sister here, I think you guys have learned as much from her as she has from all of you. Her teammates better hope they can keep up with her now. Right, kid?" His sudden praise caused me to look to the ground and blush uncontrollably. I felt eyes on me, suddenly I was out on the spot, but I was starting to look up to Ukai - so the compliment made me proud of myself. And the little sister comment made me shy. I actually didn't know most of the first year's birthdays, besides Hinata. It was strange to think he was older than me by about 6 months.

Coach continued, "There's still plenty to work on, you can't expect perfection just from a few days of practice. However, since it's the last day, I've decided we've done enough technical drills for today. Does anyone have any suggestions for fun drills we can do?"

No one spoke, most of them probably pondering the question - except for me. My hand shot up to the air almost immediately, since no one spoke right away. "I have a drill!" I said eagerly. Everyone looked at me expectantly.

"Alright then," Ukai said while gesturing with an open hand. "What's the drill?"

"Jousting!" I bubbled with excitement, but they barely stirred. Even Ukai looked at me confused.

"Jousting?" Hinata questioned beside me.

"That's when two players are fighting for the ball at the net, dumbass." Kageyama interjected. I stifled a laugh.

"I-I knew that, idiot! But how do you make that into a drill?"

"Huh?! You really don't know? It's one of my favorite drills!"

Ukai smiled and spoke next. "Well then, care to explain it and we'll try it out?" I grinned wide as ever, happy to show them something new.

"It goes like this!" As I began to explain, I marched over to the net and confidently spoke to my audience. All of them watching and listening intently. "We're all split up into two teams and one person from each team are pitted against each other at the net. Coach stands up here on the ref stand and throws a ball to one person or the other, or even in the middle of the two. The players have to joust for the ball at the net! The jousters can hit, dump, or block the ball to try and get the point; and the same players go a few rounds before the teams rotate. Oh- and the teams can play the ball if it stays off the ground."

Everyone seemed to understand so far. By the look Shouyou was giving me, he seemed a little confused, but nevertheless excited. "If the team digs the attack, you can set up for a counter attack, just like a regular game. The teams sets up in the current rotation after the joust and you play until a point is won. The purpose of this drill is to prepare the whole team for moments when players are caught battling at the net, to practice fighting for a chance ball!" The team nodded in understanding and seemed into it.

"Seems doable." Ukai said. "How do we match up jousters?"

"Ah, usually it's by similar height, but I have a special request!" A devilish grin spread across my face as I pointed through the crowd of boys, gesturing to the tallest one in the room. Tsukishima Kei - he was surprised by my action. "I wanna start by challenging him! I've always pushed myself to get better by facing taller opponents during this drill, and you would be my tallest adversary so far!"

xxx

Both teams were set up, Ukai held a ball on the ref stand, and I surveyed Kei. He looked at me smugly as the teams were setting up in their positions around us. "You sure you want to do this, shortie? I'd hate to break your spirits so early on." He goaded me. I returned his smug attitude.

"Ha. Don't think you have the upper hand just because you're taller. Keep acting smug and you just might lose." The sight must have been comical. 188 centimeters vs. 170 centimeters. I felt like freaking Jack looking at the giant - worse - Jack craning his neck at the sky-scraping beanstalk. But I was determined to win. My tallest adversary. My cynical friend, Tsukishima.

"Alright, here we go." Ukai shouted as he began the drill, I jumped to match the timing of the ball falling towards the middle. Jousting a taller player meant having to adjust the timing so I could reach the ball at the same time the lanky bastards do. The both of us pushed against it, but I managed to swipe it left and it fell right beside his feet. I cheered as my team did, celebrating the point as the drill set back up in seconds. A familiar giddiness stirred in my chest as I saw the annoyance cross his face, a villainous smile escaped from its hiding place on my mouth.

"Don't get too worked up. Tanaka always says volleyball is a sport that requires mental fortitude." I said under my breath to him, it only granted a curt 'tch.' Next ball was up and I could see it was floating on his side, I jumped for the block right as he swung, managing to slow it down a bit for my team. In his panic, Hinata sent a chance ball over to the other side. Both teams rallied back and forth for a long time, it was an exhausting rally. Kageyama actually sent me many tosses, which was awesome. I got new exhilaration every time I got the chance to hit, and one last time I set up in my hitting position on the right side and called the set from Kageyama, who set me up for a quick attack. I jumped with my might and swung hard at the ball, but it was shot down straight to the floor by my opponent across the net.

Damn, he saw through that! Now he's got the points tied...

"Alright! Final ball, let's see who gets it!" Tsukishima and I were glaring at each other playfully in close proximity. We both were breathing a little heavy and glistened from sweating. He smirked at me like a brat and I gladly returned the gesture. Then, the ball was up higher than the last two; he would get the jump on me if I didn't time it just right. I took a breath, honing my focus and waiting for the right moment. In my peripheral Tsukishima also waited, but his slight movement signaled my action. With my highest jump, I climbed in the air - reaching as far as I possibly could with my hands and touching it at the same time he did. From this height I caught his eyes out of the net's path, and his blond strands swayed from the movement.

Why is he so close...?

I didn't let him overpower me, but that caused the ball to shoot out of both our hands and roll down the length of the net. This sudden loss for the ball made me fall off balance. Gravity pulled me back to the ground, but I was too close to the net. Too close to him. I landed right on top of his feet that were underneath the net.

POP.

I fell to the floor in pain.

My heart raced.

Shit. No way...

~Notes from author~
And I oooop! :o Next chapter is in the perspective of everyone's favorite cynic, Tsukki. Stay tuned!
:)