Chapter II : Uncertainty

After this beautiful day, the weather began to change constantly. There was a heatwave followed by light rains, unusual however in these latitudes, and strong gusts of wind frequently came to shake the fruit trees and sweep the vegetable plantations.

These sudden, often nocturnal, temperature swings and squalls disturbed animals and prevented humans from sleeping.

This period was quite difficult and certainly influenced the events which were to occur thereafter.

Several weeks later, in fact, an abnormal agitation reigned in the house.

— Go get the doctor, Ramona yelped at Dolores, and don't drag on the way, Madame is at its worst.

Elvira had all the symptoms of a woman in labor. She was almost two months ahead of her due date and suffered martyrdom.

In her room, Elvira was lying down and trying to calm her heartbeat. She hoped that this would slow down the work, which would allow her to wait for the arrival of the doctor. At times she shivered all over her body and other times she was dripping with fever.

The doctor had been called far enough from the estate, but Dolorès had been able to send someone to warn him.

Ramona used to help women in childbirth, but what worried her most was that this child was coming so early. In this case she thought she didn't know what to do. The newborn would be small since the last months before birth correspond mostly to the baby's weight gain, but is that all? Would his training be over? Could he breathe, eat normally? The future looked rather bleak for this newcomer.

The two grown-ups would have liked to come into the room and hold their mother's hand to comfort her, but Ramona, with good reason, had forbidden them. The sight of such pain might shock them forever and she wanted to prevent Elvira from keeping herself from moving or whimpering with each contraction. No, it was not a show for young boys!

Rodrigo was then in the workshop with his foreman Ernesto, both busy making an inventory of the tools to be replaced. He came running as soon as he heard of his wife's premature labor. He hoped all would go well but couldn't help but think that a premature birth was not good news.

Elvira didn't want anyone in her room except the doctor. Ramona and Rodrigo therefore remained in front of his door without entering. The doctor arrived more than an hour after Dolores' return.

— How long has she been in labor? Tell me everything you've seen Ramona, it's important. Damn it, he swore. You shouldn't have left her alone, you shouldn't listen to her but now let me take care of it.

He entered the room with his briefcase and in the opening of the door, Rodrigo saw that the room was in the dark.

Maybe it was better when you were in pain, he thought as he paced the doorway, consumed with worry.

Ramona had gone down to the kitchen to prepare towels and hot water. The minutes were endless and no more noise left the room.

Then suddenly there was a little cry. Nothing to do with those pushed by his two boys, it was more like the meowing of a little kitten. Rodrigo quickened his way back and forth in front of the door. He found it hard to stay there, to wait. The uncertainty was intolerable.

After a while, the doctor opened the door to ask Ramona to bring some warm towels, but he pushed Rodrigo away with his hand, saying:

— Not now, Señor, I'll let you know when you can get home. For now it's still too early, he muttered as he closed the door.

The wait was still unbearable. Rodrigo called Dolores, the maid, and asked her to take care of the children instead of Ramona. They followed her, protesting, worried to see their father in this state of silent distress.