Chapter XVII : Reunion

At the end of the winter, which was very harsh, Diego began to come regularly to supervise the management of his grandfather's business. The latter intended to leave him his business and, why not also, his house. The couple wanted to go live in their summer residence at the estate to be closer to their daughter.

Diego had not been informed of this last decision but since he held the reins of the company, this move would not pose any problem for the future.

Having learned that his grandparents were hosting a young protege, he decided to meet her. He went to the library where it seemed to spend his days.

Isabel was immersed in reading "Journey to the Center of the Earth" [1] when she heard the door creak. She turned slowly, thinking she saw Fernando, who was pursuing her with his assiduity, but she was so surprised that she dropped the huge book lying on her knees. Diego rushed to pick it up and crouched down next to her. Isabel thought she was going to feel bad. She stammered.

— Thanks, Señor, you shouldn't.

She almost added that she was just a servant and that he shouldn't do this for her, but the words stayed in her throat. She remained frozen and silent, staring at him, wishing his features would remain etched in her memory.

Diego too, was silent and motionless, as if paralyzed. The surprise of finding himself face to face with Isabel froze him in place. As he stared at her, she dared a question.

— Do you recognize me, do you? she whispered, trembling all over her body.

Of course, he had recognized her! It was impossible to forget his first love but he did not dare to answer because he was afraid of being alone to have kept this bond. He answered evasively.

— Why should I? Have you ever been introduced to me by your parents? he pretended.

— Of course not, but you have already met me when we were children. I am Isabel, my parents work for your family at the estate.

Diego remained squatting in front of her without moving. Still silent, he looked at her intently for a moment that seemed interminable to Isabel, then he broke the silence.

— I remember you dear Isabel and believe it or not, but I'm sure I could never forget you, even if I wanted to!

Isabel couldn't help but blush after these words. Diego noticed this and put an end to this situation which made her visibly uncomfortable.

— I had no idea who my grandfather's protege might be. Otherwise, I assure you, I would have come to meet you sooner. I'm so sorry about that. Unfortunately, I have little time and I must already take my leave. I hope that I will meet you here, on my next visit, and that you will tell me about your journey. Take care of yourself.

He slipped out, backing out, without taking his eyes off her, visibly unhappy to be forced to leave her so quickly. Isabel was on the verge of tears. Her heart was leaping in her chest and the violence of its beating almost made her faint.

Then the door opened again, but this time the magic was gone. Fernando had just poked his head to offer to accompany him into the garden. As she had to force herself to walk every day, the young man had jumped at the opportunity to come and offer to spend time with him.

She didn't like the character very much, but she accepted him graciously because she knew that this daily training was vital for her recovery. But today she politely declined the invitation.

— No thanks, Fernando, I feel very tired. Let's postpone until tomorrow when I have regained my strength.

Fernando had seen Diego come out of the library. He didn't know how long he had been in Isabel's presence. Jealous of anyone who dared to approach the young girl, and a fortiori of Diego, he rushed to take a place he imagined to be his. However, Isabel had declined the invitation and it was the first time. Very annoyed by this refusal, which occurred just the day of Diego's passage, he promised himself that a new tête-à-tête could never be possible in this house again.