Chapter III : Education and more

Many seasons passed after this tragedy. Elvira had apparently overcome her desperation and was once again in charge of the household and the education of the children. Diego was always more involved in the operation of the estate to the great pleasure of his father. He accompanied her on all the tours when he was not kept at home by the tutor who made them work Salvador and him.

The school being several leagues from the estate, this solution had been chosen from the start by Elvira to prevent her sons from making long daily journeys. She had hired a tutor, offering him a good salary and accommodation on site, against education for their two children. It was a privilege because it was difficult to find teachers available and competent in all subjects.

All the schools were run by the clergy and education was provided mainly by religious and rare civilians. Elvira was very sorry that the tutor was not able to provide them with religious education as well. She had therefore decided to take charge of this training once a week.

Physically well recovered from the past tests, she took care of this teaching, even if she seemed to have more difficulties to invest in it than before.

From time to time she would go to perfect her knowledge by consulting the parish priest of the nearest village, Padre Alvaro. Of course, she knew the basics from having learned them herself in the religious institution where she had studied, but sometimes she found it difficult to answer her children's questions.

— Madre, why does Easter never fall on the same day? Salvador asked.

— Madre, why is there a Holy Spirit in the Holy Trinity? Why all of them are holy, and who is this Holy Spirit?

— Why three and not four with the Blessed Virgin?

The answers to these quirky questions did not come easily to Elvira. Yet she never left her children without an explanation, even if it was necessary to postpone the moment of giving them her answers.

— I cannot explain to you clearly today but I promise to give you the answer very quickly.

The times she met Padre Alvaro, Elvira told her of her dismay after the death of her little girl. He was trying to comfort her so that she would gain the upper hand and try to make her understand that she was not responsible for this loss. Time passed but she never recovered from those bruises in her soul and never really resurfaced.

As they grew up, the children were reluctant to continue their religious education. Their parents wanting to educate them as good Christians, they nevertheless went through all the stages of these teachings, making their communion and serving at Mass for a short time.

Diego had a friend of his own age, Isabel Cazal, and it was at church that he met her from time to time after mass. She was the daughter of an employee of the estate and when they were younger they had played a lot together. Without quite knowing why, he missed his company. She too seemed to enjoy meeting him and each time they imagined a way to meet discreetly.

Diego still volunteered for the church collection. He took advantage above all of the lapse of time during which he passed through the sacristy, after the quest, to slip away for a while outside. Isabel would then go out discreetly and they would meet at the side of the church so that they could not be seen. They had grown up now and, with their parents no longer wanting them to play together as before, those stolen moments were the only moments where they could share a little of their childhood bond.

Neither of them realized their need to reunite without their parents knowing. As they grew older, they did not understand why hanging out with his childhood friends could upset their respective families so much.

The time which was going to pass would bring them, later, the answer and it was certainly not going to please them.