Chapter XXXIV : Troubled times

The murder of the Austro-Hungarian heir , was the trigger for a world war. This war, declared by Germany against France, was extended to several neighboring countries, just after the birth of Marie. Nearby Spain was not involved, but what if this conflict lasted for a long time.

In Cuevas-Blancas, the work did not stop, however, because the financial independence of the new Almondara family depended on their advancement.

The galleries were finally ready to receive the refining barrels. Diego would take care of their purchase.

He left with a large cart drawn by four horses towards Barcelona. With this vehicle, he would be able to bring back at least four or five large barrels to start and he would complete the cellar later.

The trip to town, with such a heavy crew, would be longer than usual. He had decided to take the main road so that the vehicle, which was wide, could pass. The horses, which were not used to pulling such a large cart, struggled a little even when empty. Diego was therefore not going very quickly.

For her part, Isabel had, that same day, a visit from her in-laws. They had arrived at the beginning of the afternoon, their arms full of gifts for Marie, hoping to see the whole family. Diego had decided on this trip at the last moment and had forgotten their visit. Isabel received them with pleasure but she was disappointed that Diego was not there to manage the meeting.

— What was his program today? Rodrigo asked.

— Well, the gallery work took longer than expected, but it's now over. Diego was so happy that he immediately wanted to install the barrels there. So he left for Barcelona with the very big cart. He wants to buy and install the four largest drums he can transport, as quickly as possible.

— Perfect! I would like to see this future cellar, said Rodrigo.

— Obviously, however, I will not be able to accompany you because of the children. If you want to get there, the path has become a good passable road and you can go there with your car. When you've finished the visit, come and have dinner with us, I think Diego will be home, Isabel suggested, forcing herself to be nice.

— Gladly, then, let's do it right away before the inside gets too dark. Rodrigo took Elvira by the arm to make her follow him. It brought a sigh of relief to Isabel, but luckily, they were already too far away to hear it.

The young woman gave orders in the kitchen for the evening meal. Before they returned, she knew she would be busy bathing the boys and feeding them to dinner. He also had to take care of Marie and put everyone to bed.

Around six o'clock, she had just put Marie to bed, the d'Almondara's were back from their visit. Isabel, who had not been aware of the time passed since their departure, was very surprised that it had taken so long before returning.

Rodrigo stopped the car, relaxed the reins and tied the horse in front of the entrance. Courteously, he then helped his wife down and they walked towards the door. One of Diego's workers, named Matéo, followed them.

— Diego returned? Rodrigo asked.

— No, Isabel replied. Well, not that I know of. I have been inside since you left, he is certainly in the stables.

— I'll see, Matéo offered, heading immediately for the building.

Rodrigo looked worried and he opened up to his stepdaughter.

— We waited a long time hoping to see our son arrive. Matéo served as our guide and presented all the arrangements of the galleries. Impressive work by the way! I longed to see a barrel there and that's what made me wait there.