Chapter VII : Share

Cuevas-Blancas, 1892.

The political regime in place, conservative without being democratic, was headed by the historian and politician Cánovas del Castillo. The latter had favored the restoration of King Alfonso XII to the throne while proposing a constitutional monarchy in which the king retained part of the functions of Head of State alongside two major political parties. These would exercise power alternately, relying on a network of local notables who gave voting instructions to voters in their commune.

Rodrigo d'Almondara, who completed with his knowledge the teaching of the tutor of children, had explained to Diego, who had just turned thirteen, the workings of this political system. He himself was not in favor of the return of the Bourbons, but he was obliged to accept that this regime which, not being an absolute monarchy, allowed notables such as him to have a certain influence on Spanish politics.

He wanted his oldest to start taking part in the meetings to which he was invited. The latter, however, did not seem too inclined to take an interest in politics. He preferred to follow the life of the estate or ride with his father to go to the plots under cultivation, and learn to manage the operation financially.

Salvador, the youngest, felt left behind compared to his brother. He knew that the domain, to ensure its survival, should not be divided and that it would revert to its elder. But he thought that the management of this farm could have been shared between the two brothers. The vagaries of life in the countryside could also affect them and if they were two to know all the cogs of management, they could help each other. Obviously their father did not see him that way and Salvador decided to talk to him and Diego about it as soon as possible.

After all, Salvador reflects, we are following the same education for the moment, so we might as well take advantage of the father's education at the same time as Diego. I have to talk about it now that there is still time.

Of course, he knew that what would be recorded as of adolescence could not be called into question at the time of the succession. He therefore understood that their father wanted to make a difference to avoid any conflict between the two brothers but he felt excluded and the feeling was unpleasant.

In September, the two brothers left with their father to inspect the vineyards. The harvest was not to be long in coming and it was important to check that the grapes were ripe. Salvador took advantage of the moment when they had stopped to eat in the shade of a large tree to question his father.

— Padre, he said, I have to talk to you about an issue that is dear to me and I would like it to be in the presence of my brother.

— I'm listening, Salvador, what's bothering you?

Salvador turned to Diego as if to obtain his acquiescence.

— Well, me too, please, my brother.

— There you go, he began. I am the youngest and I fully understand that the estate will revert to Diego when you no longer want to take care of it, or upon your succession. It is the birthright that is applied to prevent property from being divided up and the succession impoverished by a partition, I am convinced of it. I also know that you have certainly provided some compensation for me and I thank you for that.

He saw out of the corner of his eye, that his father was watching him with a look a little surprised by this last remark.

— However, I have a request to make regarding my training. Diego and I have always followed together the teachings of our tutor for school education and our mother for religious education. To this day, I do not have a particular occupation that keeps me at the hacienda. Also, I would like you to teach me like Diego, what touches the life of this farm. I know and fear fevers and contagious diseases and I want to be able to help my brother if he was one day, unfortunately, unable to manage his affairs.

— It's a reflection that honors you, my son, and I'm glad you wanted to talk about it in Diego's presence. I think you are right and that any teaching is good to take. However, it is up to your brother to decide and he will certainly want to think it over before giving his answer.

— No, Diego replied, I don't need to think about it. I thank you, Salvador, for having anticipated a future which could indeed be harmful for our family. I totally agree and I blame myself for not having thought about it myself.

— So that's what we're going to put in place right now, Rodrigo assured.

When they resumed their inspection of the vineyards, Rodrigo made sure to place his horse between those of his two boys in order to immediately put into practice what had been decided.

Here, we talk about the resistance that was formed against the system of Antonio Cánovas del Castillo who will be, that year, murdered by an anarchist.

In the case of Catalonia, nationalism was born of the uneven development and geographical location of Spanish industry.

Indeed, throughout the first half of the century, Spanish industry is in fact a Catalan industry because at that time, Catalonia is the most dynamic Spanish region

Strong of this, the Catalans claim more, the direction of the Spanish state and the Catalan language like official language of Spain.

With the disaster of the loss of the colonnies and the men, worker and peasant revolts shake the country