Chapter XX : Revolt rumbles

As they were not autonomous and could not show themselves, the resistance fighters took turns providing supplies to Isabel and Diego. One fine day in 1909, disturbing news was brought to them by Carlos during a supply operation.

— It's anarchy in the city, he announced sadly, a protest uprising has taken on a scale never before seen in Barcelona. The strike movement of the workers protesting against the war could not be contained by the army that the authorities had sent to quell the revolt. Then, upon learning of the death of one thousand two hundred Catalan soldiers during the war in Morocco, the strike turned into a strong and anticlerical protest and many religious buildings were ransacked and set on fire.

At these words, the faces of the partisans darkened.

— You wouldn't recognize Barcelona, ​​he exclaimed. It is unimaginable to see these columns of smoke in all the neighborhoods. In addition, the strike committee is unable to control the angry workers and the insurgency has been overwhelming and growing in scale since the end of this week. Thousands of people have been arrested, thousands will be prosecuted for the significant damage to religious buildings. I have never witnessed so much violence.

— I have to go see my grandparents, well, I mean my grandfather, Diego interjected. I can't accept the idea that my grandmother is no longer in this world. Their conservative bent places them at the forefront of the targets of this violence against the Church and despite his mourning, I think my grandfather could still be concerned by possible reprisals.

— I had other news than what I got when your grandmother died, Carlos replied, because I knew you would talk about it. He has not been worried, he is old and not demonstrating for a penny of his political opinion, which has taken him off the list of people to worry about. Don't worry, he's fine and not risking anything. The head of government will be sanctioned for not mastering this revolt, Carlos continued. He will certainly soon be replaced by someone more liberal.

— But then, it's the end of our seclusion, exclaimed Isabel. With everything the state will have to deal with as a result of these events, the charges will be dropped and the prosecution against Diego will cease.

— Yes, Carlos confirmed. In my opinion the charges will be dropped and you can stop hiding and resume your normal life.

Isabel kissed Carlos on the cheek to thank him for the good news, then she threw herself into Diego's arms and kissed him for a long time.

— I must go see my grandfather before I leave, the young man informed him. He hasn't heard from him for a long time and he must be worried.

— Me, too, Isabel confided. I need to speak to Manuela Cortez. I'll take care of the preparations later.

But the final departure from this makeshift camp could not take place until two months later, when the return to calm really took place. After this tragic week which had roughed up the country and caused the replacement of the head of government, calm was slowly returning.

Diego wanted to join the estate with Isabel and ask Ernesto for his hand. He knew that on his family's side, the cause would be difficult to defend, but he counted on the joy that his parents would have to see him alive again so that they would be more understanding and flexible with regard to traditions.

Preparing for the trip took time. In this still troubled period, it was necessary to take more precautions not to run into a group of soldiers or brigands. They studied the path and opted for secondary roads, even if it had to be longer. Diego was used to this ride on horseback, but by cart it took longer. The full moon allowed them to leave at dawn.