Chapter. XV

-Sera, Age: 14 (8th Grade)-

-Part 1-

Sunlight radiated from the sky and penetrated the soil of the land. Every part of nature followed its normal course in its never-ending cycle of life as it always does. Yet, in contrast to nature, Sera did not adhere to a natural cycle, as she arose early for the first time in seven years.

But...That was only so she could fall asleep halfway through a bubble bath...

***

As Sera sulked over her plate of soft, cushy pancakes served with a side of eggs, she watched her family prepare for the day ahead. Her father held a newspaper in his hand and carefully read the text while wearing old-style round glasses. The man also held a cup of hot coffee that he had made earlier with the coffee maker Sera believed had been broken. In the meantime, her mother was cleaning the kitchen tools she had used to prepare such a breakfast. 

Mom: "Sera, Please slow down! It is never healthy to eat food in such an inhumane manner!" She took her eyes off the sink to watch her daughter scarf more and more pancakes down, until there were none left.

Sera: "Hmm?" The phrase Sera uttered was drenched in syrup, her plate had practically been returned to her. 

Dad: "Gotta wonder where all the food ends up. Must have a portal in your stomach or something." Sera's dad chuckled and set down his newspaper.

A massive blush covered Sera's face as she stood up and dropped the plate in the sink.

Sera: "I hate you guys..." She whispered before running off to her bedroom, taking in her parents' laughter.

***

A hop and a slide completed Sera's clothing preparation. In Makinohara Middle School, there was a very strict dress code. So in an attempt to organize her daughter, Sera had been dressed every day in the same clothes similar to a uniform. This of course bothered her, but she lacked the courage to say so to her mother.

Waving goodbye to her parents as she strolled downstairs. Sera made her way outside into the chilly weather, and up the street to find a bus stop where other students her age awaited for their buses.

Typical of bus rides, the bus was crowded with snot nosed brats and loud music blasting from speakers. However, despite her feelings towards such people, she could not lie to herself and claim she hated them all. She was after all a childhood friend of one of these individuals.

In a coughing fit, the bus driver turned the corner of the street and stopped inches away from the other students. As an old, wrinkled man who hated children, it always puzzled Sera how he had even managed to obtain the position.

Bus driver: "Get on board!! I don't have all day!!" He spoke in a raspy voice that left him coughing even harder.

A number of the students in front of Sera giggled as they slowly stepped onto the bus. However, upon entering the vehicle, Sera noted that every seat was filled. Of course this was embarrassing, as all eyes were on her.

'Fuck...' Sera shivered, thinking about how her mother would react if she knew she was thinking that way.

Bus Driver: "Hurry up and Sit down!!!" He spoke, impatiently tapping his finger on the steering wheel.

As Sera stared at everybody's faces in search of a seat, Sera noticed a boy who sat alone extending his legs to obstruct an empty seat. Walking over, her fake cough signaled the boy's attention.

Sera: "Noah, please let me through."

Noah: "What's in it for me?"

Sera: "We were raised together. You can't just do me a favor?"